Missing the 'Keep arranged by' option

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by icarusrex, Apr 1, 2008.

1. icarusrex macrumors newbie

Hello..

I was helping my buddy set up his new macbook tonight.

I'm a relatively new 'full time' user myself -- so forgive me if this is an obvious question. Google didn't yield any results.

As I was showing him around, I noticed he had some options for arranging files that I did not. Namely, 'keep arranged by'. Also 'snap to grid' and other options I've seen on some of the threads that came up in search results.

I've linked a screenshot.
    How do I enable this contextual menu option?

thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I dont have 'keep arranged by' either, I have 'arrange by' however.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

"Arrange By" changes to "Keep Arranged By" when you press option as well as right click. This is the same as setting "Arrange By:" in the Get Info window. "Get Info" also changes to "Show Inspector" which is a floating Get Info window that changes dynamically like you have pictured.

If you have "Arranged By: None" set and files are not set in a grid on the desktop, "Clean Up" snaps the files back to a grid, or you can have "Snap to Grid" set which does this dynamically (i like that word!).

but "Clean Up" doesnt seem to be in you right click menu. try going to home/Library/Preferences and dragging "com.Apple.Finder.plist" to the desktop and relaunching Finder by option-right clicking on its dock icon. if that doesnt work drag the plist back and then relaunch the Finder again to get your settings back.