Missing the Snow Leopard days

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by hassoon, Jan 29, 2012.

?

Are you experiencing any freezing issues are response-delays ?

1. YES

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. NO

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. hassoon, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

hassoon macrumors regular

hi, let me get this straight from the start, i wish to downgrade to snow leopard. when Lion was released, i saw all the cool features and improvements and i was pretty sure that it' absolutely worth the update. I tried to download it from the app store but i failed as the internet and the electricity are both not reliable in my country, so i asked for a refund and they gave me back the money (Apple's customer service proves that the world is a good place). 2 months passed and i became really eager to update and the app store started to prevent me from downloading new apps such as xcode 4...etc so i asked someone i know outside the country to get me the USB thumbnail and i finally got it. i got really excited and i installed it right away. As a note, my mac is a mid 2010 macbook pro 15'' so i'm owning it for more than a year now with not even one freeze. Anyway, when i installed the new OS i was stunned by the new features and gestures, and the other great things. But i noticed something that my apps are really slow at startup, and i thought that maybe because i need to upgrade them since i changed my OS. After an hour, my mac "freezed" i got panicked because as i mentioned i didn't experience such thing before. I waited for 10 minutes hoping everything will work but even the mouse arrow isn't working. So i restarted my mac by pressing and holding the power button which made me worried about my mac. After that my screen freezed again after a wakeup into a pixelated black screen and i restarted my mac the same way. That all happened in the first 2 hours of installing the OS. So i remembered that new updates should be available since i got it late. i installed the updates to 10.7.2 and the freezing issues persisted. i send a software/hardware feedback to apple about the OS and what issues i'm facing. and to my luck, apple had noticed the issues before and send after 3 days an update for mid 2010 macbook as they are having freezing issues. I updated and till now i'm having the same problems. Freezing issues are happening when:
    1) opening the App Store.
    2) viewing PDF's on Preview in full screen.
    3) switching between the full-screened apps.
    4) using pages new feature of seeing old versions of my work.
    5) opening a youtube video and facebook and a third web tab.
    6) writing this right now.
    actually i'm getting frustrated about the new OS and i wish that i can downgrade to snow leopard because it was working flawlessly and now freezing issues. i'm almost reporting to apple every single day for every app that is crashing on my computer hoping to get my words.
    Are there anyone also having the same issues? i'm really disappointed with that right now, but im sure there will be future updates.
    ******* sorry for the typing error in the poll (**or)

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Create a new user, boot with the new user and see if the problem is still there.

Obviously something went wrong with the update to Lion.
    My suggestion to you: is do a fresh install. Then use migration assistant to get your user's data and install all the apps. Then enjoy.

Did you kept a backup of your previous Snow Leopard volume?

I have two HDD: one for Lion and another for Snow Leopard.
    Late 2008 MBP, runs flawlessly.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

As much as I prefer SL, I'm not having your issues with the one machine on which I have Lion.

4. wpotere Guest

Nope, Lion is still buggy and has yet to be patched. I get kernel panics weekly and have issues with WiFi on a regular basis as well. For the folks that are having no issues, I am happy for you but there are lots of problems with Lion that need to be ironed out.

FYI, I have done a fresh install as well and it seemed to work for a while but all of the issues returned.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Before going back to SL, I used Lion heavily for 5 months without major issues (bug-wise that is).

Sure some quirks but nothing like what you describe. My version was even upgraded on top of Snow Leopard.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What are the issues?
    Open the Console and get the details.

7. wpotere Guest

The issues are crap Lion drivers. I have already troubleshoot this to death and I am not going to do it again. SL runs fine, it is Lion that has all the issues. Memory leaks, kernel task that doesn't release unused memory space etc...

8. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

I'm new to Lion. Downloaded it the day it came out. Killed my Wi-Fi. Decided this past week to download it again after getting a new AEX unit. Now it somehow works. Funny how buying a new Apple product made it work...

(And I did just about every variant of a clean and upgrade install possible and known to man.)

But I digress.

I can honestly say, and this is just my opinion as a 25 year veteran of Apple products, that 10.7 came out a full year before it should have. A lot of the things like iCloud could've EASILY been implanted, and still should be, into SL 10.6.9 (10.6 only goes up to .8, of course. But you get my point). The fact none of these bugs is even addressed at all by anyone at Apple is just pathetic.

The randomocity that is Wi-Fi not working with some routers and firmwares, while working with others without any pattern at all. The slow response times. The absurd programming beneath the hood for RAM allocation not working or working too well and giving too much RAM to a benign process/application. Wake from sleep issues. The irony is there are a ton of teeny-tiny coincidental bugs that totally throw Lion for a loop. If your primary wi-fi router isn't on the TOP of the list (or sometimes not the only one on the list) your internet won't work at all. Or how if you have a Cat5e cable plugged in....your Wi-Fi works randomly. It's all so absurd.

If you're having problems and it's bothering you a lot or preventing you from using and enjoying your computer for work or play...go back to SL 10.6.8. At least it worked properly. That's what I did until now and I was happy with 10.6.8, but still annoyed. If Lion had been more than $30 I would've been totally ticked off.