Missing Time Remaining

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fenderbass146, Nov 29, 2016.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

So I just updated my computer to the newest public beta in order to resolve another issue (Apple Watch Unlock was not working no matter what I did, and the update to the beta did fix that) however now after doing the update I noticed that it is no longer showing my time remaining when I click my battery. All it says is "Power Source: Battery". It would normally tell you the time or at least say calculating time remaining. Is this a known bug with the newest 10.12.2 or do any of you have a fix for this?

edit: When I plug in my charger it shows time remaining to full charge like normal.

Attached Files:

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

3. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

*Standing ovation* This is a welcome change because of all of the people who were claiming bad battery life based on this notoriously bad metric.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It was left out, because there wasn't enough time left in the battery, to show how much time left there actually was, before they had to release the beta.

5. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

So anyone have a real answer? It sounds like others are having this problem.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2016 ---
    Really?...Assuming you have a good battery the meter was pretty accurate depending on your task...for example if your watching a movie, typing a document, or any activity that has a consistent power usage it was always pretty reliable.

6. titleistman18 macrumors member

Eh... If you own a '16 tMBP you'd feel differently....

7. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

The real question is why do you want the time remaining meter. The wrong answer is "to see how much time I have left on my battery." When you use the time meter, it will swing down and up depending on usage. I use percentage as it always goes down like a battery should. I simply use every 10% as little less than an hour remaining. That's pretty accurate, but it changes depending on your CPU load.
    As exhibit A, please see the battery life thread: "I plugged and unplugged my power, it says 3 hours. I did it again a minute later, it says 8 hours. This battery is defective." Repeated 100 times.

8. vince730 macrumors member

The meter has been horrendously inaccurate for the new tMBP in the version of Sierra shipped on them. Whether its bug related or an issue with the new processors is yet to be determined. Apple is likely working on software fixes for the battery drain as well as how to make the metric more useful for these new processors and temporarily removed it as it wasn't finished yet....it is still a beta release, don't forget. Doubtful they'd remove it entirely, but in the current state is quite broken for the new hardware and needs reworking.

9. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Why don't they just add precognitive abilities to Sierra? How hard could it be?

10. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Like I clearly said...doing activities were it has a constant level of cpu usage such as watching a movie on a plane or working on word or pages documents it is pretty damn accurate. I don't rely on it but it's a good estimate most of the time.

Also I love people defending this bug. I can almost guarantee it will be back but the typical Apple fan stigma is "because apple says so"

11. bizack macrumors 6502

Sorry, but this explanation is retarded. That's like saying removing 'miles left until empty' from a car is a bad idea and should instead be replaced with 'percentage of tank left.' If Apple keeps this in Sierra, it's a half-assed attempt at allaying the very real battery issue.

12. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Here we go again... I am not defending anything. I am ripping ftards who do as I described above. I feel like I need to write a disclaimer on every post. But many of the things I have said - it SHOULD be good out of the box, you in no way HAVE to go through troubleshooting steps, etc. Not defending anything, giving choice to solve if you wish, and sick of people saying the same dumassery. That's all. You seem to know the limitations of the meter, so no critique of you friend, but so many don't.
    Hey genius, if the miles remaining were in a car that went straight uphill and then straight downhill and you in your infinite wisdom said, "my car is broken", then yeah use the gas meter like we all have for decades? You actually use the miles left? And the explanation is retarded? Check yoself.