Missing vcards when importing to Address Book

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Feeex, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Feeex macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I have recently switched to a MacBook Pro after years of using Windows based PC's.

I have approximately 1,800 contacts stored as vCards but when I drag and drop them into Address Book, only 900 or so are imported. If I then try to add them a second time, I get a message saying 'no cards added, no importable cards were found'.

I have checked the details of the missing vCards and the permissions are set to read and write for them all but still no joy.

Can anybody help please?

Thanks.

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Do you have Microsoft Office installed on your Mac yet? (2008 or 2011) If so than just import them to Entourage '08 or Outlook '11. From there they can convert to the address book a little better.

3. Feeex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks AFPoster.

I do have Office 2011 installed, but unfortunately Microsoft has taken it upon themselves to remove the ability to export as .pst files; instead coming up with a new .olm file type which is not compatible with any program other than Outlook for Mac 2011.

What I'm therefore trying to understand is why Address Book seems to be taking a selective approach to importing vCards.........!