Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Boston
I did a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my MBP 13" but under Disk Utilities it shows that there is no mounting point for my drive so why is that? Please see attached image.

Also whenever I go onto a website that has a few banner or skyscraper ads or even just eBay which has none of those, my CPU temperature shoots right up and my fans got to the maximum 6,000+ revs.

So I’m wondering if this is because the MBP 13” has only 1 fan and it is not enough to cool it and that it should really have 2 fans as per the 15” if they could only fit it? I use Crystal Macs Fan Control to monitor.

Attachments

• Missing Volume Mount Point.png
    Missing Volume Mount Point.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 97

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
under Disk Utilities it shows that there is no mounting point
That is correctly showing your mount point. / is the root directory. See https://www.howtogeek.com/117435/htg-explains-the-linux-directory-structure-explained/
Also whenever I go onto a website that has a few banner or skyscraper ads or even just eBay which has none of those, my CPU temperature shoots right up
That's because the websites you're visiting make the machine work hard. More work means more heat. You can help by using a power efficient browser, like Safari, and minimizing the amount of crap running on each page by using a content blocker. Search the forums for recommendations on those.

Guza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Boston
but then shouldn't it give the name of the drive after that forward slash as the mounting point? I just did a fresh install on a new SSD so whatever I name the drive Leopard or Lion whatever, wouldn't it show up as /Leopard as the root directory name? It does on my other MBP's. Should I reinstall the OP again?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It's an older laptop obviously, you have have a build up of gunk obstructing the air flow.

Or it's being pushed too hard.

Or both.

Guza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Boston
@chabig thanks for that link, I'll check it out

@Howard2k the internals are super clean, no obstruction with the fan and I have drilled ventilation holes in the bottom pan for my cooling mat fans to get good airflow inside it. The MBP was hardly used too, it hasn't been abused.

Reactions: Howard2k
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.