Missing watch face

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ianfann, Apr 28, 2015.

1. ianfann macrumors 6502

A watch is also a fashion accessory especially for men. It's one of the few accessory men can express themselves in terms of statues, character etc... And a very important element of a watch is the face of it.

Traditional watches have permanent watch faces that never disappears. They are beautiful, elegant and always there when someone looks at you. Smart watches on the other hand don't have permanent watch faces. You need to flick a switch in order to see it, in Apple's case a flick of the wrist. this is where smart watches fail as a fashion accessory. Apple's fray into the fashion industry is a mistake in my opinion. They should have waited for technology to catch up and enable a watch to have at least a full day of life thus enabling the watch face to be permanently on all the time.

In conclusion, i think encasing an immature technology inside a $17k gold casing is just wrong and premature.

2. sincere11105 macrumors 6502

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So, you're telling us you're not going to buy a smart watch. Got it.

4. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

Sorry to disappoint you. Come back in 5 years, or buy a pebble. Simple as that.

5. Alessandro23 macrumors newbie

6. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

This kind of comment just leaves me shaking my head in disbelief.

Yea, sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But the value of an opinion comes from the credibility behind it.

You state something is just "wrong and premature" and you tell us why smart watches fail as a fashion accessory. What is your experience in this field? Do you edit a fashion magazine? Do you work in a fashion store? Where is the knowledge of this field to add strength and credibility to your "opinion?"

But most of all, if you want to have some credibility, learn grammar, vocabulary, and definitions.

"Apple's fray into the fashion industry is a mistake in my opinion."

"Fray"? Fray is to unravel, to become worn, etc. I suspect you meant to say "foray". And even "foray" would be the wrong word to describe Apple's entry into an area where fashion is involved. But be aware that the Apple Watch is so much more than just a "fashion accessory". I know that you don't see that, but that's OK.

Trying to gain some credibility in a forum where most are very positive about the watch isn't easy. You don't help that task by using the wrong words. Just a suggestion. Take it or leave it.

7. Simbal macrumors newbie

I do agree with you to as point. When I first saw the apple watch I immediately realized that it will never be as beautiful as the mechanical watches due to this very reason. Every apple watch is the same, when the screen is off.

I will still enjoy it as a technology piece but I will not part with my Rolex, AP, PP...for example.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Buy a Pebble, enjoy the vector octagons.

9. ianfann thread starter macrumors 6502

Pardon me for my English as it's not the only language I use daily. I am also not a tech guru and I do not have any credibility. I am just a normal user giving my honest opinion.

I am not an apple hater nor am I against apple. In fact I am in love with Apple products. I preordered the 42mm SG and it's due in June. I dare to declare myself as an Apple fanboy.

My point here is that Apple is marketing the watch to the wrong crowd, pricing it at a wrong level and selling at a wrong time. It's a piece of premature tech in a very expensive gold/SS case.

I have spent a fortune on Apple products and I will continue to do so. Most of the time I feel that my money was well spent, but I didn't feel the same buying this watch. I didn't feel cheated but short changed.

I don't mean to offend anyone and I'm just a regular Apple product user so please forgive me for my honest opinion and broken English.

10. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

While I'm not sure I agree with OP's point exactly, I do think that smart watches are definitely dragging their feet as a fashion item.
    The Apple Watch is a nice looking watch (and by far the best looking smart watch out there), but on looks alone, I really don't think it compares with a lot of mechanical watches. It's just too clunky and bland looking.

The lack of a dedicated watch face is part of it, but really I think the Apple Watch is just lacking in character, which it sort of has to be. There is basically only one Apple Watch; it comes in different materials and sizes, but they all look more or less the same. And so because of that, they needed to make something that appeals to a wide audience. When I look at watches that I find truly beautiful, I know for certain that there are people who would find them ugly.

11. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

BTW, every smartwatch apart from the Apple Watch and the Gear line has an always on display, lasting 1-2 days and even up to 10, with a lower quality display. So, that's about 3/4 of smartwatches. Current technology is not disabling anything.

12. Brianhyp macrumors newbie

Brianhyp

Write a letter to Tim I'm sure he will change it right away

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Iap

trust me, apple will be selling watch faces soon enough

14. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I am sure the sales will show otherwise