Missing Wifi connectivity in Windows7 on MacBook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lukeksk, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Lukeksk macrumors member

I've installed Windows7 Home Edition OEM version on my new latest MacBook. When running under Mac OS Snow Leopard, I have no problems using the built-in Wifi capability. However, under Windows7, I can't find any option to turn on the Wifi connectivity. It seems to only support Ethernet connectivity. I have run both the Snow Leopard OS disk and the provided Mac Install disk with the MacBook to ensure that all necessary drivers have been updated. But still no Wifi option under Windows7.

Q1. Is it because Windows7 Home Edition does not support Wifi? (The Windows7 Professional Edition OEM on my iMac can connect to my Airport Extreme using 2.4 and 5 MHz Wifi without any problems, so I know Windows7 Professional Edition has no such limitations)

Q2. Have I missed out a step somewhere when setting up Windows7 under Bootcamp?

Thanks for all help in advance.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Of course W7 Home supports WiFi. A lot of notebook owners would be very unhappy if it didn't.

Run through some basic troubleshooting and see what it says.

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-troubleshoot-network-problems

Does it report that you even have a WiFi adapter? For a late model MacBook that shipped with Snow Leopard you should only have needed your OS X install disc.

B

3. Lukeksk thread starter macrumors member

I followed your suggestion to check out the link

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-troubl...twork-problems

and ran the Network Adaptor diagnostics. What W7 saw are only:

1. Local Area Connection
    2. Bluetooth Network Connection
    3. All network adapters

W7 did not even detect any Wireless Adapter on the iMac, which is the problem!

When I check under Device Manager, I noticed that there is a Network Controller that has a warning label to it. Could this be the missing Wireless Adapter? Despite running "Update Driver Software ..." and "Scan for Hardware changes", nothing will fix it.

Help!

4. klaze macrumors member

I know this is old, but I'm having same problem as you, did you find a solution yet?

5. Lukeksk thread starter macrumors member

Apple website has a new update to Bootcamp and after I downloaded and applied the update, lo and behold! Windows7 recognized the Apple wireless device automatically and my problem is fixed. Worked on my 2 girls' MacBooks.