Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
PROBLEMS

I am one of many Pro Users that relied on spaces to manage windows. Mission control has now changed things up, you still get multiple desktops but managed very differently. Here are the problems they really need to fix:

1) You can not get an instant overview of what is on your system as you could with spaces where you can view all your spaces at once and pulling four fingers down to spread all the windows out.

2) You can not drag windows directly from one desktop to another.

EXAMPLE

Task : You have 6 desktops of work open you wish to drag a window from desktop 1 to another desktop with similar work (it will be desktop 6).

Snow Leopard :
- move mouse to screen corner , spaces activates
- pull four fingers down, expose activates (all windows can be seen desktop 6 is chosen)
- drag window to desktop 6

Lion :
- pull four fingers down, mission control activates
- swipe to desktop 1
- pull three fingers down, expose activates ( check windows)
- swipe once to desktop 2
- swipe once to desktop 3
- swipe once to desktop 4
- swipe once to desktop 5
- swipe once to desktop 6
- pull three fingers down, expose activates ( check windows this desktop is chosen)
- swipe six times to desktop 1
- pull three fingers down, expose activates
- drag window tow desktop 6

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have submitted feedback to apple using the link in QuarterSwede's post.

Please add your feedback on this issue if you feel the same. It wouldn't be a big job to fix this (I know I make GUI's myself).

Submit Feedback to Applel

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
PROBLEMS

EXAMPLE

Task : You have 6 desktops of work open you wish to drag a window from desktop 1 to another desktop with similar work (it will be desktop 6).

Snow Leopard :
- move mouse to screen corner , spaces activates
- pull four fingers down, expose activates (all windows can be seen desktop 6 is chosen)

Lion :
- swipe to desktop 1
- swipe once to desktop 2
- swipe once to desktop 3
- swipe once to desktop 4
- swipe once to desktop 5
- swipe once to desktop 6
- pull three fingers down, expose activates ( check windows this desktop is chosen)
- swipe six times to desktop 1
- drag window tow desktop 6

You couldn't be more incorrect. You only need invoke Mission Control, click on the thumbnail for Desktop 1. That gets you to Desktop 1. Invoke Mission control once more and drag the app from the Desktop 1 main window (the one in the middle of Mission Control) to the thumbnail for Desktop 6. You don't have to use the four-finger swipe to go to each desktop. I do this all the time and it works flawlessly. I also miss the old grid layout of Spaces, but decided to adapt my workflow to Mission Control once I made the switch to Lion.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You couldn't be more incorrect. You only need invoke Mission Control, click on the thumbnail for Desktop 1. That gets you to Desktop 1. Invoke Mission control once more and drag the app from the Desktop 1 main window (the one in the middle of Mission Control) to the thumbnail for Desktop 6. You don't have to use the four-finger swipe to go to each desktop. I do this all the time and it works flawlessly. I also miss the old grid layout of Spaces, but decided to adapt my workflow to Mission Control once I made the switch to Lion.

I'll do you one better, opt click the desktop you want to move items from, it will go center, drag items to new desktop.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Have you not tried right click on the dock icon of the specific app you want to move???

Do that and select - show in all desktops. Then go to desktop 6 and do the same and choose "show only in this desktop". Done. Its like 3 steps only.

Does it work?

bfreecity

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
I agree -- mission control's not as elegant

While everyone's ideas are fine, it's silly that you can't use expose while looking at your different desktops, which you could do in the old version of spaces. I miss that feature so much. I could hot corner spaces, then hot corner expose, and be able to see every open window running on my computer perfectly, all at once. And could easily drag them from space to space. With mission control, you can't see all of the windows that are open -- it stacks them and even completely obscures some windows. I don't get it. Am I missing something?

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
You couldn't be more incorrect. You only need invoke Mission Control, click on the thumbnail for Desktop 1. That gets you to Desktop 1. Invoke Mission control once more and drag the app from the Desktop 1 main window (the one in the middle of Mission Control) to the thumbnail for Desktop 6. You don't have to use the four-finger swipe to go to each desktop. I do this all the time and it works flawlessly.

Thanks, but to clarify,

I know you can click on a desktop to go directly to it. However in my example the user does not know which desktop wish to drag the window to, and needs to see whats on them first.

Basically 2 tasks:

1) User needs to see the windows of each of the 6 desktops.
2) User needs to move a window from one desktop to another.

So in Snow Leopard you hit the corner pull four fingers down and in 2 movements you see every window in every desktop at once. The third move is simply dragging the window from one to another. Tasks 1 and 2 in three gestures. Getting a single view of the whole system in SL is two gestures which are so fast they take less than a second. In Lion you must go desktop by desktop (see below).

The reason I used the four finger swipe gesture is that it is the least steps in Lion to accomplish the task (16 steps), to check what windows are on each desktop (task1) and then drag one window from one to another (task2) using the click method actually takes more steps (23) :

- click desktop 1
- click desktop 2
- click desktop 3
- click desktop 4
- click desktop 5
- click desktop 6
- pull three fingers down, expose activates ( check windows, this is the one)
- click desktop 1

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I'll do you one better, opt click the desktop you want to move items from, it will go center, drag items to new desktop.

That is the best solution so far but still 16 steps to Snow Leopards 3.

- option click desktop 1
- option click desktop 2
- option click desktop 3
- option click desktop 4
- option click desktop 5
- option click desktop 6
- pull three fingers down, expose activates ( check windows, this is the one)
- option click desktop 1

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I agree it isn't as good…virtue desktops was still the standard. Some things I like, but you should be able to drag a window out of the thumbnail of a space without having to go to it. That's been available for like forever on other platforms.

Rob

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Thanks, but to clarify,

I know you can click on a desktop to go directly to it. However in my example the user does not know which desktop wish to drag the window to, and needs to see whats on them first.

You originally posted that you wanted to move something from Desktop 1 to Desktop 6, which is why I framed my answer in that manner. If you don't know which desktop has the desired app, use the four-finger gesture to swipe to that desktop, invoke Mission Control, then drag from the center desktop (the main one) to the desired desktop. As it takes less than a second to swipe from one desktop to another, I really don't see the cause for any distress. It's simply a different way to go about the same thing. Actually, I often invoke Mission Control just to see what I have on my other desktops. The only app that's really hard to see is iTerm, as it kind of blends into the background. If I invoke Mission Control and move the cursor over the desktops across the top, iTerm will turn blue, so at least I can see it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.