Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I was just scrolling through the iPhone buyers guide XS page when I noticed an error. The buyers guide says that there is no difference between the X and XS screens, that's not true.
Buyers Guide:
Screen_Shot_2018_09_30_at_2_51_37_PM.png

While very similar Apple did announce that the XS has up to 60% more dynamic range when viewing HDR photos than the iPhone X (they specifically mention it during the keynote).

Apple (news release, keynote):
Screen_Shot.png

Screen_Shot.png

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2018/

Skip to 41:50 and watch for a minute Phil clearly says "and they display better than ever on the new Super retina display because it has a 60% greater dynamic range for the colors in your photos than the iPhone X display".

And before people ask: This was a feature I was excited about, and my OCD HAS been bugging me lately :)

Last edited:

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
Original poster
May 25, 2010

Which one is true? I’ve noticed 0 difference

Apple. The XS has up to 60% more dynamic range in HDR photos than the X. Some photos there won't be a massive difference others there will, all depends on the range.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Apple. The XS has up to 60% more dynamic range in HDR photos than the X. Some photos there won't be a massive difference others there will, all depends on the range.

I completely misread this post lol
[doublepost=1538347662][/doublepost]For some reason I thought you were referring to the pamphlet inside the iPhone box.

However I haven’t noticed much difference between my X and XS screens.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
Original poster
May 25, 2010
So that is photo enhancement. Display is the same

What? The display offers 60% more dynamic range, that is certainly not the same, it isn't enhancing the photo, it has a greater range and can display a larger amount of what was captured, the camera's range has been greater than the display until now. The photo will look better because the display has the ability to show what was captured more accurately than before.

Even if it was a software tweak you would say it was a display improvement for example, Color Management is software based yet it is what makes Apple displays so accurate over the Android competition.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
What? The display offers 60% more dynamic range, that is certainly not the same, it isn't enhancing the photo, it has a greater range and can display a larger amount of what was captured, the camera's range has been greater than the display until now. The photo will look better because the display has the ability to show what was captured more accurately than before.

Even if it was a software tweak you would say it was a display improvement for example, Color Management is software based yet it is what makes Apple displays so accurate over the Android competition.

So it’s just in photos though? I’m not disagreeing I’m just curious because I have noticed no difference within the displays of either device.

They’re both top of the line displays IMO.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
Original poster
May 25, 2010
So it’s just in photos though? I’m not disagreeing I’m just curious because I have noticed no difference within the displays of either device.

They’re both top of the line displays IMO.

I honestly can't find a solid answer to that. Apple only mentioned it in passing with photos in the keynote, and that news article states photos, and the actual XS page doesn't really tout it very much, leading me to believe it is only on pictures. It's mainly just bugging me that whoever wrote the buyers guide forgot about it :p

I wouldn't be able to compare directly as I went from an 8+, although the differences in the ranges between those two phones are pretty amazing.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Where does it say "The XS has up to 60% more dynamic range in HDR photos than the X"??

In the pic you posted above from the Keynote it doesn't reference the X in that statement.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
Comparing my X to my Xs Max I can honestly say the display significantly better.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Where does it say "The XS has up to 60% more dynamic range in HDR photos than the X"??

In the pic you posted above from the Keynote it doesn't reference the X in that statement.

I could have elaborated better, in the keynote Phil clearly says the XS display is better than the X.

Skip to 41:50 and watch for a minute Phil clearly says "and they display better than ever on the new Super retina display because it has a 60% greater dynamic range for the colors in your photos than the iPhone X display". Besides Apple wouldn't compare the XS display in advancement to any other display other than the X. Apple's not gonna say it offers 60% better range than the 8+, we knew the X already offered better range, it's comparing it to the generation directly before, the X.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodynorman

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, Apple’s pro bono marketing team.

Eh like I said I didn't own the X, so I really don't know how much of a difference it actually makes compared to the last generation. All I know is that the buyers guide is basically a spec sheet, and currently its wrong.

I pay attention to close details. In High school my counselor, college advisor, and parents all thought I had to take a specific class to go to a certain college, I noticed interesting wording on the paper and pointed it out. After some squabbling and "you have to trust me I've been doing this for years"... I stumped the counselor working in the High School, and the person who's job it was to know everything about applying because I paid attention to a single word, and no, I didn't have to take the class.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I was just scrolling through the iPhone buyers guide XS page when I noticed an error. The buyers guide says that there is no difference between the X and XS screens, that's not true.
I think the answer is that they are just describing an already existing feature of the display on the X. If you look at how it's worded, they are basically saying that these are bigger versions of the display on the X and then mention features of the X display that now comes in a bigger size.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I think the answer is that they are just describing an already existing feature of the display on the X. If you look at how it's worded, they are basically saying that these are bigger versions of the display on the X and then mention features of the X display that now comes in a bigger size.

Skip to 41:50 and watch for a minute Phil clearly says "and they display better than ever on the new Super retina display because it has a 60% greater dynamic range for the colors in your photos than the iPhone X display".

I doubt it was a mistake, it was a pretty structured sentence and he didn't stumble, it was definitely practiced. The wording is weird though on the news release I agree, which is why I originally provided the keynote but didn't explain what Phil actually said when the slide was on, seems to be like the 120hz touch sensitive layer, they mentioned it briefly during the keynote and then it disappears on the devices actual page.

https://wccftech.com/iphone-xs-120hz-touch-sample-rate-explained/

^

I think this actually would be defined as a display upgrade as well, didn't think about it until now.

Last edited:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

I doubt it was a mistake, it was a pretty structured sentence and he didn't stumble, it was definitely practiced.
I stand corrected

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I honestly can't find a solid answer to that. Apple only mentioned it in passing with photos in the keynote, and that news article states photos, and the actual XS page doesn't really tout it very much, leading me to believe it is only on pictures. It's mainly just bugging me that whoever wrote the buyers guide forgot about it :p

I wouldn't be able to compare directly as I went from an 8+, although the differences in the ranges between those two phones are pretty amazing.

I’ll be honest I’m still in the fence about keeping my XS or staying with my X. They’re both damn good phones and I’m trying to warrant the $1349 I spent on it besides the screen being bigger because it’s a max lol.

I do know when I had my 8 and my X the differences were major between the 2. Mostly due to one being LCD and the other OLED. There’s definitely a night and day difference between the 2.

However I am curious to what a Apple has come up with for this XR and it’s LCD. Though I know the pixel density is on 326 PPI..
[doublepost=1538357356][/doublepost]

I doubt it was a mistake, it was a pretty structured sentence and he didn't stumble, it was definitely practiced. The wording is weird though on the news release I agree, which is why I originally provided the keynote but didn't explain what Phil actually said when the slide was on, seems to be like the 120hz touch sensitive layer, they mentioned it briefly during the keynote and then it disappears on the devices actual page.

https://wccftech.com/iphone-xs-120hz-touch-sample-rate-explained/

^

I think this actually would be defined as a display upgrade as well, didn't think about it until now.

I have seen a video on this 120hz thing and they’ve said this was already available through the iPhone X but Apple acted as though it was an upgrade On the XS...

I believe the guys name is SnazzyLabs. According to him this is so... I’m not 100% sure however.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018

As far as I understand, contrast ratio is the same thing as dynamic range. it would seem that the screen on XS and X is the same then, at 1mil:1. If so, the reason why phil said photos viewing are better is perhaps because of the camera's new HDR+ mode.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
Original poster
May 25, 2010
As far as I understand, contrast ratio is the same thing as dynamic range. it would seem that the screen on XS and X is the same then, at 1mil:1. If so, the reason why phil said photos viewing are better is perhaps because of the camera's new HDR+ mode.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bh...hy/tips-and-solutions/dynamic-range-explained

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/difference-between-image-contrast-and-dynamic-range.149010/

That doesn’t seem right. It seems like contrast ratio is strictly how light/dark it can get, and the dynamic range is what it can show in between those points. That’s what I understand from reading those, I might be wrong though I’m just learning about this.

Also to address your point about the new HDR+: Phil also clearly said that all your old photos will look better, suggesting the HDR mode in the 6S+/7+/8+/X was capturing detail that the displays couldn’t show at the time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.