Mistaken Identity: Vehicle

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Nov 2, 2008.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

My dad got a "1st notice" letter yesterday informing him that he is late paying the parking ticket of a couple of weeks ago.

Several problems:

* the license plate stated in the letter is correct
    * the car is claimed to be a Honda
    * the license plate was never on a Honda
    * the car the license is attached to was on the interstate passing by that town on the date in question
    * my dad died in August

Any ideas of what could happen? My mom thinks just calling them might solve the problem.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, your father is a really accomplished dead person! Has he ever thought of taking out some bank loans under his name only? ;)

Anyway, did you tell them that he died? I'm not sure how the whole "my relative died" thing works, but the government is quite fractionated, so just because the IRS and rest of your federal government knows that your dad is dead, the Ministry of transportation's office may not know that.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think your mom is right. They will probably want some proof etc of what you are saying. But I think a few phone calls should clear up this mess.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can probably get a registration history or something, or at least a copy of the registration as it was on that day, and show them it wasn't on a Honda.
    Tickets usually get dropped if the officer has the wrong make of car.

5. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

unfortunately people using license plates for criminal activity is widespread,
    here in the UK people use false plates for all sorts from petrol station drive off's to robbery, worse if the stolen car for the crime is the same make/color as yours, no-one wants to be pulled out their car on a sunday afternoon on the way to the in-laws by Armed Police because a car 'like' yours was used in a serious robbery some 200 miles away 10 minutes ago???.......:) no it hasn't happened to me, yet.
    Tell your mom not to worry, it will all be cleared up by tea time ;)

6. balofagus macrumors regular

We had a problem similar to this. My grandfather had apparently "forgotten" to register his gun collection, haha. So the police ended up coming to our house, which they had listed as his last known address. Problem is, he hadn't lived their in almost two years (we had purchased the house) so they asked if we knew where the unregistered guns were and my mom told them in no uncertain terms "Yes, they're locked in a safe at the lawyer's while the estate is settled. He's been dead for half a year."

Cue shocked faces + "Really?"

My mom could not believe that the police of all people had no idea her dad was dead... they knew he had guns but somehow his death certificate doesn't show up in the database?

7. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Maybe it's just me, but in this case what is the worst that happens if you do nothing?

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Ummm, & what are they going to do - suspend his license.:confused:

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

After a while, they'll boot and/or impound the car if they see it parked on the street.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just a phone call is all it will take.

It some times happen that they get a dual plate in the system and it glitches when sending out a ticket or pulls up that plate because the old one failed to get removed. Even though it might of been tagged for replacement it some times get missed.

Just a phone call and normally all it takes to clean it up.