MIT develops solar storage "nirvana": energy crisis solved?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Aug 1, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Engadget.

Interesting :cool:

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This will be so great, it's always been the main piece of the solar energy puzzle for people who live in Northern climates. Go MIT !!!

Nice timing, too. I wish I could have that tech this afternoon. Just got my invitation to call my propane supplier in case I will like to do a pre-pay contract for this winter's gas. I wonder what their minimum is this time around, last year it was $400 which this year probably doesn't make it worth their first delivery! I see a future involving the stacking of much more firewood on the deck this year...

3. Queso macrumors G4

Excellent stuff. Now let's hope a few of these "oh so green now" oil companies help the research and get it to market a bit sooner*

* yeah...

(p.s. buys shares in cobalt mining companies :D)

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually, part of the energy problem is the high energy requirement needed during the BUSINESS DAY, not night. All the infrastructure is build to accommodate the peak usage which only happens a few hours per day.

Example, summer day -> hot -> AC.

Night time the energy requirement is lower, but power plants cannot just shut everything down, thus there is actually excess energy available at night (at a cheap price if you are on the demand metering system).

For example, dams pump water back up at night, to use the water to generate more power in the day. There is even a skypscraper in NYC that freezes water at night (huge quantity of water with >Million dollar device) and use the ice in the day to cool the building.

If you have solar panels, it's better to sell your excess energy in the day, and to purchase the cheap energy at night.

NOT to say the invention is useless. Devices that can store energy would be in good demand if it's cost effective, but would be used to store excess energy produced at night to use during peak hours during the day.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

As long as they don't buy this technology from them and make it.......disappear. ;)

6. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

That's probably exactly what is going to happen

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Were that to happen, then, at some stage in the proceedings, I would hope that the Government would nationalise the "winner".

That'll teach 'em. [​IMG]

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I reckon this kind of engineering has uses outside of the home; imagine you use solar energy to break the water into its gases, then pump the hydrogen into your hydrogen fuel cell car. You'd never have to pay for petrol again, you'll be producing no long-term pollution, and I believe fuel cells have the potential to be just as fast (if not faster) than petrol-driven cars.

I really hope we move from the oil age to the water age. It means that we would be able to use all the energy we wanted without doing any damage to the earth. It can only be a good thing.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hydrogen fuel cells = the future of energy. The question is, when?

10. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Change the when to where and that could make for a very unusual discovery... :)

That being said, it would be interesting if something like this could be applied to vehicles. Sit in the sun all day, many only need occasional use, then get a few miles or more at the start of the drive home. Even better if it could be used on say trucks where some storage space for the equipment doesn't mean loss of all useful space and they can potentially make the top of the truck all solar panels.

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Its more a question of when the market is going to start buying hydrogen systems for their homes. When that is firmly established, I think it shouldn't be too big a jump to put hydrogen systems into cars.