Mitigating iBook -> MB alu:How?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Macinposh, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

So,in the process of finally getting a 2.0/2.4 alubook.
    Now the only problem is how to mitigate all the programs (CS2 etc..),settings,emails and stuff from my old tiger iBook to the new alubook?

Planning to update the HDD on the alu to 500GB in the same time.

How to do it?

I have a timemachine,but does that help anything? Is it possible to do some kind of target disk stuff via usb or ethernet cable?

All help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You obviously can't use Target Disk Mode since the new MB's lack Firewire. I know when you do a fresh install of the OS, there is an option to import your stuff from a Time Machine backup but I'm not sure if that works from PPC ~> Intel. That and your iBook has to have Leopard on it already to use Time Machine.

You can use ethernet cable to network the 2 and transfer everything manually.

3. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

I think you mean migrating not mitigating.

You should be able to use Migration Assistant:

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/migration.html

Although you wont be able to do the firewire-firewire solution. Maybe take the drive out of old macbook and put it in an enclosure, or get an out-of-spec USB cable? Dunno if the USB idea works.

4. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

here's a suggestion.

get a usb enclosure for your new hard drive

here's one for $8 after mail in rebate (you are NOT going to find a cheaper one than this, GUARANTEED)

http://www.supermediastore.com/galaxy-metal-gear-2518uas-2-5-external-enclosure-case.html

use superduper (great software with a trial version) to back up your entire drive (it is universal binary) so you can boot off of it.

then you can take out the hard drive and put in into your new macbook.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The ibook has and IDE/ATA drive in it and will NOT work in his Macbook. Nor do I think the OP wants to dissemble his iBook to remove his hard drive to put in an enclosure. It won't even boot on an Intel Mac anyways.

An ethernet cable will most likely be the most convenient for the OP.

6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

the OP was talking about upgrading his macbook hard drive to a 500gb at the same time. the macbook oem hard drive or the 3rd party 500gb hard drive could go into the enclosure.

7. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok.But how does that work then because the iBook operating system is Tiger and doesnt hold any of the neccessary drivers that the alubook needs?
    Can the alubook even boot from that drive,even in safemode or something?

And no,taking off the iBooks drive is not an option (read,42 screws...)...

So there is a way to migrate (thanks consultant.. :) ) the data via LAN cable? Is that automatic or do you need to set some port/share options on?

8. uicandrew macrumors 6502a