Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020

Japanese automaker Mitsubishi this week introduced the redesigned 2022 Outlander, its first vehicle available with wireless CarPlay.

mitsubishi-outlander-2022.jpg

Wireless CarPlay works over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, allowing for an iPhone to be connected to the infotainment system without a Lightning cable. In addition to being convenient, this wireless connectivity will soon become more important, as reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously claimed that Apple will introduce at least one high-end iPhone without a Lightning connector this year, resulting in the device being completely portless.

The fourth-generation Outlander is equipped with a 9-inch touchscreen that provides access to both wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Wireless smartphone charging is also available alongside standard USB-A and USB-C charging ports.

Depending on the trim level, the 2022 Outlander can be fitted with up to 20-inch wheels, a 10.8-inch heads-up display on the windshield, a 10-speaker Bose audio system, a panoramic sunroof, and other options. The vehicle is powered by a 2.5L four-cylinder engine and is equipped with three-row seating as standard equipment.

Mitsubishi says the 2022 Outlander will be available at North American dealerships starting April 2021, with U.S. pricing starting at $25,795.

Wireless CarPlay is finally beginning to see wider adoption, with several automakers now rolling out the feature in select regions, including Hyundai, Honda, Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. Car audio brands like Alpine and Pioneer also offer aftermarket wireless CarPlay receivers for do-it-yourself installation.

Article Link: Mitsubishi Begins Adopting Wireless CarPlay
OMG I have been waiting for witless CarPlay for literal years... it’s been out for a while and I can’t find cars that support it... so I may make a lateral switch over here... once my lease is up.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Definitely not just limited to luxury brands, I have it in my VW golf, SEAT/Skoda also already offer wireless CarPlay.
Those companies still can’t be compared to Mitsubishi. They’re very close to shutting down, adding wireless car play to their cars isn’t high on their budgeting priorities

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
VW! Way to completely diss VW MacRumors

Wireless Carplay is available on nearly every VW sold in the USA today other than the soon to be canceled Passat and Golf. Only the GTI has to until 2022. And all VWs have wired Carplay no matter what the trim.

21 Tiguan, 21.5 Atlas, 21 Arteon, 21 Jetta and GLI, 22 ID4, 22 Taos.

VW has been on the forefront of Carplay and now wireless charging with Carplay for years now. No fees, or hard to deal with interfaces either.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
And do they even own 1% of the NA market share?
The moment they killed the Evo is like a nail in the coffin. ?
Surprised that they are still sticking around after Suzuki and Isuzu left.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Do you really think it makes sense comparing cheap Mitsubishis with flagship products from BMW and presumably Audi? Like lol what, of course those brands would be ahead - if they weren’t, they wouldnt be luxury brands
LOL. When having the most advanced gadget causes one to purchase cars that are constantly in the shop.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I test drove a Trailblazer RS on Friday and it had wireless carplay. I connected my phone during my drive and called someone. Every couple of seconds they were breaking up and I couldn't even have a conversation. When I got off the phone, I had a podcast playing and that was breaking up too. Is this what I have to look forward to with wireless carplay?

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
LOL. When having the most advanced gadget causes one to purchase cars that are constantly in the shop.
Yea there’s a reason I buy brands that might be more “conservative” but are way more bullet proof. I couldn’t rely on a BMW to get me 1000 miles on a road trip

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Exactly the same as if it were wired. The last paired phone starts by default if in range, otherwise the nearest iPhone in range on the paired list. Or you can force it from the menu.
Thanks. (But that's not the same as if it were wired. ;) There is neither a default nor a menu for wired CarPlay. You explicitly pick the phone by plugging it in.)

Jammer005

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
I test drove a Trailblazer RS on Friday and it had wireless carplay. I connected my phone during my drive and called someone. Every couple of seconds they were breaking up and I couldn't even have a conversation. When I got off the phone, I had a podcast playing and that was breaking up too. Is this what I have to look forward to with wireless carplay?
We recently purchased a Macan and have been quite frustrated with stability of connecting our phones and the breaking up of calls and music streaming. What I’m not sure of is whether the issue lies (in my case) at Porsche or Apple or both.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
How would you use Wireless CarPlay without pairing it to the car wirelessly? I agree that if they remove the convenience of charging while paired, they should improve security but I don't see why wireless would be any more secure.
The problem is that pairing is annoying, and it's not clear what data from the phone is perma-stored on the vehicle. It needs to be, the car will forget everything about your phone the moment it's disconnected, and re-pairing it is just as easy as reconnecting an already paired phone.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Not sure whether even rental companies will buy them.....
Car rental companies? Are those still a thing? Hertz (plus subbrands Dollar and Enterprise, which has subsidiaries Alamo and National) filed for bankruptcy in May or so. Cars were hauled to baseball and other stadium parking lots to be sold at deep discounts.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yep. Nothing like a 3-foot cable for making positive connectivity and charging while in use.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Yep. Nothing like a 3-foot cable for making positive connectivity and charging while in use.
The bluetooth audio connection to both of my VWs never breaks up in any way, and the data displays correctly on the screen . Why would WCP be worse? It’s still connecting with BT audio and transmitting data via bluetooth. I never plug in for Carplay unless I am using Maps. Don’t see the point.

I hope WCP isn’t a step backward.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Do you really think it makes sense comparing cheap Mitsubishis with flagship products from BMW and presumably Audi? Like lol what, of course those brands would be ahead - if they weren’t, they wouldnt be luxury brands

It's not like there is a ton of R&D needed for wireless CarPlay. Like one said above...a flipping Durango has it. Doesn't need to be luxury and some brands like Lexus have their flagship SUV at $110,000 and doesn't even have wired CarPlay. I will say of all the brands I've driven in the past 2 years, BMW has by far the best implantation into their system.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
It's not like there is a ton of R&D needed for wireless CarPlay. Like one said above...a flipping Durango has it. Doesn't need to be luxury and some brands like Lexus have their flagship SUV at $110,000 and doesn't even have wired CarPlay. I will say of all the brands I've driven in the past 2 years, BMW has by far the best implantation into their system.
Not R&D specifically just costs of actually implementing the hardware, testing, etc. They’re barely surviving man

Foggy82

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
Spain
this is a nice feature only if implemented well.
on my wife' Mini, we have Wireless carplay, but: no wireless charger, so for long trips you need to plug the cable anyway.
Also, switching between different phones is a pain through the car's menu. Both mine and my wife's phones are associated, but only the "main" device or the first one that enters in the car get to connect. Murphy's law is valid also here and it's never the one you need.
In short, I wish it had wired carplay. Much easier also if you have guests in the car and they want to share a song, for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.