MiWi + Airport? Would this work?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NoStopN, Dec 7, 2010.

1. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Since MiWi 4.0 currently doesn't work with gaming consoles, could a combination of MiWi plus an Airport express (or extreme) work. From the very little that I have read, the AP can function as a bridge for a wired item. My theory is:

1)- MiWi, with AP picking up the signal & sending it to the PS3 ethernet port.
    2)- MiWi USB plugged into the AP USB port, then AP broadcasting a wifi signal to the PS3.
    3)- MiWi USB plugged into the AP USB port, then ethernet cable to the PS3.

I'm not even sure if the USB plug on the Airport can accept data in. I have seen people asking if a USB external hard drive with AP. It still seems a bit unclear. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

2. QuarterSwede, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

1) The AX can only act as a bridge with an Airport Extreme or some Linksys routers with 3rd party firmware.
    2) The USB port is only for printers. There is no known hack as this time.
    3) Same as 2

3. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that anyway as you'd be sucking up data like no one's business.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This is news to me, I had use MyWI with my Xbox 360 a few times, not issues, I played games and also Streamed netflix, Not issues, maybe it doesn't work with the PS3 (haven't really tried it)

As far as the OP question, I don;t think you can use the AE as a bridge, if you have a laptop or computer that would do it, you can share the wireless connection with the ethernet port.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Good thinking. I hadn't considered that.

7. ag227 macrumors regular

1) might work. I have an airport express set up to join my wireless network (orange livebox) and then it can share the connection over ethernet. This works when shared to my sony blu-ray player so prob would for the PS3. Orange livebox's can not be set up in a bride network.

It just about the right settings in one of the airport express setup tabs that asks for something like tunnelling or host-local or something. From playing around with the right settings my blu-ray player is now seen as another wireless device on the network.

8. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I have tried getting this to work with my consoles but have been unable. I've seen a few posts from others that are able, and would really love some help. I can't figure it out, I'm no good with any kind of networking.
    I have an iphone 4 and an iPad with mywi, a MacBook pro, airport express, xbox 360, ps3, and a wii. Long story short, I lost my job due to a flood, and had to take one paying much less, so I've had to cut some corners like turning off the hi speed cable Internet. I'm not really even needing to play games online, I just need to update my consoles, and patch a couple games. Any help would be appreciated. Google searches have provided no help. I've found a few posts here and there on macrumors, but never instructions. Thanks in advance!

9. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Unlimited data plan. I've played a little bit on my PC game with the USB tethering.

I only have a PS3. No laptop or X360. I didn't read the FAQ section of MiWi until after I tried to get the PS3 to pick up the wifi signal.

The only way that I can think of telling you what to try would be to see if you can get an external hard-drive to work using the USB to a laptop that is receiving a wifi signal from the Airport. That woul tell me that data can be received through the USB port of the Airport. My thought is that if the Airport can receive the signal, it should be able to send that data out via wifi or ethernet. The PS3 could at least use the ethernet even if it still can't pick up the wifi signal. So, did your former employer decide not to rebuild? The news wants to paint a picture that most everyone is back on their feet.

10. outphase macrumors 65816

last year, I used PDANet to tether my phone to my netbook (running OSX) to wire tether to a PS3. that was fun.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Make sure you don't go overboard. AT&T can revoke your service if you're doing unathorized tethering.

12. NoStopN, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

No laptop to try to share the connection with. An Airport costs less than a laptop.

Too late for that. The montly billing cycle is almost finished. I'm around 19-20 GBs for the month. If AT&T or any other cell company want to impose a limit, they should explicitly say so in the contract info. Also, salesmen & saleswomen should make it clear that "unlimited" has a limit. Of course, that would make it false advertising. Verizon has called their new 4G LTE package "unlimited" already, but states that it has a 10 GB limit. Of course, both VZW & AT&T have different plans for their smartphones versus their laptop cards/mobile hotspot devices.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I have been doing some downloading with my Filer app. It's available in the app store & I have been downloading a lot with it. So, between that, & a ton of YouTube mobile (free cars from Need For Speed), I have a reason for the large increase in data usage. Either way, my AT&T app says "XX.XXX MB of Unlimited". No worries.

13. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

The airport does not work with a hard drive, although I did think of that as well. I've been trying to share the connection through my MacBook pro with an Ethernet cable. It keeps telling me the Ethernet has a self assigned ip, & cannot connect to the Internet. The console keeps failing to get an ip address and won't connect. Looks like I might need another solution.
    Regarding your question, everything is all tied up in litigation, and last I heard they are thinking of maybe reopening by December 2012... I chose to stay in Nashville so, I am still struggling. Their greed is still effecting me.

14. ALWAYSBLESS macrumors member

Mywi worked on my xbox 360 and halo reach.. Didn't use as much data as I expected either

15. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

How did you connect it to the 360? I've tried unsuccessfully & would love to get it to work. What did you do?

16. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Like I said, I thought wifi was wifi. Why the Xbox 360 can receive wifi from MyWi & the PS3 can't is making me scratch my head. The only other solution I have seen was a device called a Cradlepoint. That is actually a brand name. Best Buy carries 2 models that both claim to take cellular devices (USB laptop modem, other USB items) & send out a wifi signal. It does say that you should have a tethering plan for your applicable phone. However, when looking through their web pages, none of their models is listed as compatible with any iPhone. I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy one last week. But, it still doesn't solve the issue at hand.

17. QuarterSwede, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can sue them but it's not worth the cost unless going class action. They're not going to like you going 4x over the soft limit (~5GB from what I understand).

As an aside, I graduated from MTSU in '04. GREAT school. Loved it.

18. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

AT&T have sent me two different text messasges about a class action suit against them. I'd have to re-read it to find out all of the details. But, they say unlimited. My app says unlimited. I didn't receive any upcharges on my last bill. They may not like it, but they haven't said anything to me about it. As for MTSU, I'll have to take your word for it. I never attended.