Mix of Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ildottorebardi, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ildottorebardi macrumors newbie

Hi,

When trying to use my MacBook Pro 13" at school, I have to connect to the school network which uses the county proxy so that we can't view explicit stuff or something. All Windows laptops connect perfectly when the proxy address and portal are put in, as do all the people with Macs that I have spoken to, but mine simply won't. I have spent ages messing around trying to get it to work but it won't, no matter what the proxy settings are set as. Safari tells me that the Mac cannot access the proxy, as does Google Chrome when I tried that as an alternative. Is there anything that anyone can think of that would cause this peculiarity?

On another note, my laptop loves to crash. I get the spinning wheel appearing often, it will hang and then continue as normal which is really quite annoying. I have has the laptop since July last year and it has happened from the beginning. I have tried cleaning the disk with disk utility, but I have no idea how to make it run smoothly.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dom.

2. TheFridge macrumors newbie

With regards to your proxy issue. Go to Settings->Network->Advanced (Bottom Left).

Now make sure that the network you are trying to configure is selected, and click on the Proxies button (top).

There you will find your proxy settings, now it depends on how the proxy is set up. Most likely it's Automatic Proxy Configuration and you then copy and paste the URL (of the proxy settings file) into the empty URL text box.

Good luck.
    TheFridge

3. MarkH356 macrumors newbie

If you use your macBook at home and at school, you may need to set up 2 different Locations. My Uni setup has different DNS servers that need to be specified (not automatic) whereas at home it is automatic. I have to switch locations when I physically move the computer, otherwise Safari just hangs and can't find any server. Look at your Network Preferences panel and Locations is at the top