Mixed Airport N/G experiences

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BASE91, Apr 22, 2008.

1. BASE91 macrumors member

I did a quick search and didn't find anything aobut this so I was wondering if anyone has exerienced/solved this problem.

When I was using the older Airport Extreme G and using the Airport Express to participate in a WDS environment everything was working awesome.

THEN, I replacement my Airport Extreme with the N version and started to experience very slow downloads. I figured it was my router so I used my Airport Express (g) as the router as I got the AEX replaced under warranty. Everything was working great when I was only using my Airport Express. Downloads and airtunes was faster than ever.

I figured since I do not use the airdisk on the AEX why not go with the Airport Express N as the router. So I returned the AEX for an AE and started expierncing problems with airtunes cutting out, and download speeds at 1/5 and what they were before.

OKAY.
    So, has anyone else experienced these strange problems with a mixed N / G WDS set up?"

2. Hallvalla macrumors member

I thought I'd keep this thread alive because I'm interested in an answer/solution as well. Sorry, I don't have an answer.

I will be receiving an Airport Express (n) today, but would like to also use my old Airport Extreme (g) as a relay. Hopefully the new Express will be work on its own, but...

3. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Nope nothing strange whatsoever.. i have a older G Airport express/with AT hanging off the back of my N extreme. I keep the G so i can older G cards on the network and then have the N for the newer to me its a no brainer. I never have any issues either of one going down or anything its a pretty solid network and setup

4. James Howlett macrumors member

I was hoping to use a time capsule with N/G mixed mode because of file sharing with G computers, but how much will there be a performance hit from N, will it still be faster than G or should I just say screw it with the file sharing and operate two separate networks. I need G because my Mom uses G for her laptop, but I want to get use of my fast internet.

What I wanted to do was slave the windows computer as a torrent downloader then send the files to my iMac once their done without keeping my imac on 24/7 let it sleep once in a while.

5. Andrew N macrumors newbie

I copied a large file using a dedicated n network vs a g network, and the speed went from 25minutes to 8minutes to complete the copy. Definitely faster if you can get it to work.

Current problem is that I have an older G express wired to my AEBS for legacy devices. All fine, but I want to extend the G network using WDS to another old G express, but as soon as I switch WDS on the G express, the N network disappears/becomes erratic.

The G express is set to 'bridge mode'. Have I set this up wrong?

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I had a similar situation. I put an 802.11n card in my 2008 Mac Pro so I wouldn't have to run ethernet to the bedroom. I was previously using 802.11g on my MacBook with a Netgear G router. Since I just went "n" on the tower I figured I'd go out and buy an Airport Express. I returned it after a week since the reception on the tower was terrible. It cut in and out constantly to the point where it was impossible to surf the net, or send/receive email. I dropped my Netgear router back in and it was 100% perfect. I don't understand why the AE didn't work. The tower is no more than 25 feet from the AE and is not obstructed.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed. Now I'm stuck at "g" speed. I'm going to have to break down and run ethernet up thought the attic and down into the bedroom and just deal with G on the MacBook.

7. p.luik macrumors regular

I recently had this problem in my dorm room. One of my roommates and I have n, while the other two had G. We used an AirPort Extreme with three hard drives and a printer connected at n, while having an Airport Express at g connected via Ethernet cable to the AirPort Extreme for the others. Everyone was able to use the internet and connect to the hard drives and printer.