Mixed drive setup help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChrisR01, May 24, 2013.

1. ChrisR01 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody need some help. I'm in the process of upgrading my mid 2010 MacBook Pro to a dual drive setup. I have already installed Corsair 8GB ram, and have a Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB, and WD Scorpio Blue 1TB, along with the HDD caddy and Superdrive enclosure. I was hoping somebody can give an orderly list of installation instruction, I already know I have to install the SSD and install the OS onto it, my question is when I swap out the SuperDrive for the 1TB HDD what do I do from there? Do I install it boot up the computer and then what?

Thank You

2. ChrisR01 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Assuming you have the SSD installed first with OSX installed, you'll need to use disk utility to format the Scorpio drive before it can be used. In my mixed drive setup, I keep OSX and the apps on my SSD and my larger data folders(iTunes, iPhoto) on the HDD.

Another option, make 2 partitions on the HDD. One for data and one for Time Machine backups.

Many options available. You didn't give us much info on how you use your MBP or if you have any ext. drives, backups, etc.

Have fun. You'll enjoy the SSD speed increase.

4. ChrisR01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Niteflyr: yes I do have the SSD installed with my OS mountain lion installed I wanted to run my apps and OS from the SSD and have music, pictures, videos, books, documents, etc available on the HDD.
    So once I install the HDD ill have to format it to what exactly? I'm a newb when it comes to this so as much help as possible, and what's the best way to go to make sure all files (music, photos, documents, books, videos, etc) are always stored on the hdd and not the ssd?

Thank you so much

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

6. ChrisR01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the video, very helpful

How about formatting the hard drive once installed in the SuperDrive bay?

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

8. ChrisR01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all your help this is exactly the help I needed.

----------

Last question sorry for the confusion, under partition scheme would I choose GUIDE partition scheme or apple partition map and why?

----------

Sorry did research I'll be using the GUID partition scheme

Thank you

9. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Always GUID if its for an Apple computer

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just a tip, if you move lets say your Home folder or any folders within that folder to the external, do NOT rename the HD afterwards, you can get into serious trouble if you do so, like not able to login anymore.

----------

Not always, not for PPC Macs.:p

11. ChrisR01 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah my bad, I never owned one of those, totally forgot.

13. justperry, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Well, kind of, I didn't read the link the other poster gave you, I'll read first and report back.

Edit: It's a video, I am not going to look at that video, too much data.

You can copy the Home folder or any folders to the other HD and then make symlinks, this I find is the better way, OS X also has a built in way but it warns you too about renaming.

Edit: This is in Users & Groups, click the padlock, enter password, then right click on the User Account>click advanced, there is an option to change the Home Directory.
    But I prefer Symlinks.

14. ChrisR01 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is so good about the symlinks the advantages?

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Trust me on this ... if you want it to be as simple as possible to setup and to maintain moving forward, just follow the advice that I gave you.

If you need to ask about symbolic links, and how to do them, then you probably should not be using them, or at the very least should be playing around with them inside a Linux-based virtual machine first, to get your head wrapped around the concept, prior to making those types of changes on your system.

Symbolic links may be worth investigating if you were relocating your home directory to an external drive. However, you are not relocating it to an external drive. You are relocating it to a drive that you have installed where your SuperDrive used to be.