Mixed Media Disc not loading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pees330, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Pees330 macrumors 6502

Hi I have mixed media dvd that has interactive cooking techniques that I need to use for my college course. When I put the dvd in the combo drive, I go launch the application inside the dvd labeled oncooking.osx

The program begins to load but then a finder browser comes up saying "Where is @:xsprocket:shell?" I could then browse my HD for it but I can't find it (nor know what I'm looking for).

I don't really know if this is a plugin that I could download or what. I'm running Leopard 10.5.1 on the last revision iBook with a combo drive. Here is the exact title of the dvd:

Cooking Techniques DVD, 4/E by Pearson Prentice Hall

I don't know if anyone can help me at all, but I figured I would ask you guys because you are always helpful and someone may have had a similar experience. Thanks in advance!!

2. JustinC107 macrumors newbie

Same problem

hey nice to see someone with the same problem just got a similar dvd from my school and i am having the same issue did u ever find an answer?

3. Pees330 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was never able to find a solution for it to work. I emailed some companies and that didn't help at all. I just ended up having to use it within Windows. I couldn't find anything about how to fix it.

4. JustinC107 macrumors newbie

wow that sucks so bad thanks for the reply if i find out anything i will let you know

5. futbolfreek macrumors newbie

Solution

If anyone still cares to know the solution for this, let me know- it's long and detailed.

6. addaction macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and I would be interested in the solution. Can you post it for me?

7. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

8. papinandrew macrumors newbie

Answer

Has Anyone Found The Answer To This Yet Please Telllll

9. tcmilbert macrumors newbie

The problem is with OX 10.5. I have the same DVD, it works with 10.4 no problem. Just an FYI, it doesn't want to work with 10.6 either. Fricken programs dirty code. No one can follow instructions these days.

10. papinandrew macrumors newbie

so do u have 10.4 or how did u get it to work???

11. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Yes, you need to be running Tiger.

The xsprockets resource appears to be missing from later versions of OSX. It will only run under 10.4 or lower. I have Tiger on a couple of machines and the Cooking DVD runs fine.

Sorry.

Terry

12. kittyg7032 macrumors newbie

stupid cooking dvd

I just bought the exact same dvd that everyone else is talking about here. Can't get it to work. Futbolfreek, if you have the information to get this going can you please post it? Sounds like there are a few of us awaiting your information. Thanks!

13. huntaub macrumors newbie

Answer to Issue.

It is really simple, and I had this figured out for a while without knowing that other people had an issue. Firstly, run
    Code:
     defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
    (Make sure to restart finder afterwards.) in terminal to see if the xSprocket folder is on the disk like it should be. If it is there, simply copy all of the folders and swf to your hard drive and relaunch the swf. That should fix it... (And I am on 10.6)

14. LoRick macrumors newbie

Mixed Media Disc not loading--Cooking Techniques DVD by Prentice Hall

huntaub said to write cod but did not say how or ware. There was something about dragging the Subject DVD to the desktop, then what?

I could not get DVD to work. A Mac guru helped. He copied Subject DVD to the desktop but did not work. Guru than downloaded and installed Perian. Had to locate video files on hard drive and as usual double clicked to access.

But I would like to know about:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

I don't understand the process stated by huntaub. I hope huntaub explains more.

15. bdemersMR macrumors newbie

solution

Tried to copy files to desktop and run, would not let app run, said "cannot copy files to desktop"...

Researched, found a neat tip to reveal hidden files in "Save" Dialog; cmd+shift+. (that's right, "period")

So, when I then clicked on the On Cooking.osx file and got the where is xsprocket question, I then revealed the hidden files and clicked on On Cooking>xSprocket>shell.dxr, then clicked on Choose.

Voila!

Have to do this every time I launch On Cooking, but the keyboard shortcut to reveal all files works like a charm..

Cheers

Bob

16. NoobJesus macrumors newbie

2014, The problem lives on

First post on this forum. Thanks for all the help. Thought you all back from 06 or so might like to know that even culinary minded people in 2014 have the same issue. May we meet again over some trivial problem!:)