Mixing Apple/OWC ram in 2009 MP's?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eyeruh, Apr 9, 2009.

1. eyeruh macrumors member

Sorry if this is a newb question but I'm a long-time PC user about to buy my first Mac. :)

Will there be any performance impact if I mix Apple ram with OWC ram in one of the new Mac Pros? I want 12 gigs total (6x2) and it's about $50 cheaper (with edu discount) to get 4x2 from Apple and 2x2 from OWC rather than 6x1 from Apple that I won't use plus 6x2 from OWC.

FWIW, my primary use for the machine is Lightroom which is pretty reliant on memory-bandwidth so I don't want to do this if it'll be an issue.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

For optimal performance, it's always best to use matched modules (identical brand and part number).

FYI, OWC does run a trade-in rebate program for sending in unused factory Apple modules. They aren't specific on whether they extend this to new Nehalem models, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to call and ask. ;)

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

I have the impression it does. :)

4. eyeruh thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks!

5. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

6. eyeruh thread starter macrumors member

I didn't see a set of 2x2 but they do offer individual 2gb dimms.

7. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I must be blind, I've been waiting for that option but still don't see where I can order them online. Any help? :confused:

8. eyeruh thread starter macrumors member

9. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Awesome, thanks for your help, I hadn't seen that page. I even emailed their sales staff saying I'd like to buy 2 sticks of 2GB and they told me the option was not available. :rolleyes:

10. eyeruh thread starter macrumors member

Sure thing. I wonder if they just meant that you couldn't get 2x2 as a matched set? Either way, it seems kind of odd.

11. sboerup macrumors 6502

12. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Right, but the cheapest way to get to 6x2GB (12GB total) is by purchasing the computer with 4x2GB installed by Apple and then adding an additional 2x2GB after-market.

13. davidlv macrumors 65816

The OP should be aware that this Quad-core model only has 4 slots for memory, 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM only and getting 12 GB would mean using 4GB modules, which are still rather expensive. Apple only supports 2GB chips, but OWC has tested and backs up their 4GB chips. The issue of 3 chips versus 4 is more complex (see the MacRumors forums), but to sum it up, while there are some minor speed issues using the 4 chip sets in some applications, the issue seems to be minor in most cases. The cheapest way to go is to buy the 4 chips X 2GB = 8GB set from OWC or another vendor for around 144 smackers.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...1&type=Memory&TI=2155&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades
    Then if that is not enough buy another set when the price of the 4GB chips comes down. My advice for what its worth. YMMV

14. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

I don't know how much testing went into these 4GB OWC modules... but I ordered 8 and only 5 were good. I then had another 2 replacement and both were bad. Perhaps they affect non 2.93 Gainestown differently... but on my system it was a no go. If anyone has had OWC 4GB modules work on their 8 core 2.93 I would be very interested to know.

15. jons macrumors 6502

You CAN mix ram brands, and it will work fine. You won't see a performance increase by using only one brand.

16. eyeruh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'm planning on getting the 8-core 2.26. I'll mainly be using the machine for Lightroom & it'll make good use of the 8 cores.