Mixing ATI and nVidea GPU cards OK?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by davidlv, Dec 18, 2009.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

My business partner recently bought a Quad-core 2009 MP with 2 nVidea GT120s installed to run 3 monitors. He is rather disappointed in the performance of the cards (slow scrolling and lags in rendering), and wonders if adding an ATI Radeon would work. Ie., possible to have 3 cards installed, mixing the two brands (1 monitor per card)? Or even using 1 ATI (2 monitors) and 1 nVidea (1 monitor)? Anyone know if this will work OK?
    * The forum thread on the audio problem was a great help in solving another issue (well actually not solving, but using smcfancontrol to lower the temperature of the machine when playing music in iTunes) so once again here is a question for the well informed on this great forum.
    :cool::apple::cool: with some :(:eek::(s

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The only OS that has major problems is Vista. other then that OS, mixing and matching cards should be fine.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Indeed - I ran an HD2600 and a 7300 GT in parallel for quite some time. No sweat. :)

4. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

I had no trouble with a mixed Ati/Nvidia set up under Leopard and Snow Leopard, but my bootcamp setup was less happy with XP less than happy. Maybe I could have fixed it but I went all-Nvidia and all was well.