Mixing different Apple product chargers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Larken, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Larken macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 6s and an iPad Air. I travel a lot and of course my ambition is to pack as efficiently as possible. So I thought, why bring a charger for my iPhone 6s and the iPad Air charger when both chargers seem to work interchangeably. However, I don't want to risk damaging either device as maybe the chargers are using different current configurations.

Is it risk free to use one of the chargers as the universal charger for both my devices? As for charging speed, I don't care, just as long as I don't risk damaging anything.

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Any Apple Lightning charger is absolutely safe for any lightning devices they sell. I would recommend taking the iPad Air one though, since it will charge both the iPhone and iPad faster than the standard iPhone charger. On the Apple store product page, it shows all iPhones as compatible in case you want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

3. Larken thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! So basically, even with a higher charge capability it doesn't degrade the battery faster on my iPhone then?

4. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Nope! It's perfectly safe - I've been exclusively using iPad chargers for my iPhones ever since they came out five years ago and have never had an issue.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I use two iPad Air chargers between my iPad Mini 2 and my iPhone 6+/5S. The iPad Air charger will charge the 6+ a bit faster then the charger that came with the 6+ itself.

I kept the Air charger when I sold the iPad Air over a year ago so I could use it for my other devices.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is kind of common sense that Apple would not make these chargers that would damage their products when used on a different device.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Common sense isn't common nor does it always make sense. It's also neither here nor there.

Most devices -- not just Apple -- will draw only what they need.