Mixing HD Types

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Killerbob, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Whilst I am waiting for my MP to show up (I've ordered the NVidia 8800GT), I am going to order some extra HDs, and I am looking for some advise on the combinations:

I have ordered the MP with the upgraded 500GB HD, on which I will install the OS, and keep my data. In addition I will get 2 Samsung SpinPoint F1 (750GB) HDs, install in Raid0, for Applications. Now, I have an older 200GB SATA I HD lying around, and I wonder if I can install that one as well, to run Vista, and as a Scratch HD, or if I should/can use seperate partitions on the Raid0 array for that?

I know there are 4 bays, and supposedly 2 additional SATA connections. What happens with the speed of the overall SATA II HDs, when I add an SATA I HD? Does that matter? And finally, can I install Vista (to run in Fusion, or Parallels) on the Raid0 array?

TIA

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Adding a SATA I to the mix won't affect the other drives. SATA I & SATA II are more marketing gimmicks than anything. Due to the physical limitation of the media, the 150 MB/s and 300 MB/s speeds aren't reached anyhow, that's just the theoretical throughput.