Mixing music in garage band?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by James Godfrey, Jan 13, 2012.

1. James Godfrey macrumors regular

Hi all

Just wondering if garage band can be used to mix two or three tracks together.

I currently mix music for dance performances, but normally use mp3 or CD tracks within the mixes... Can this be achieved with GarageBand also?

Thanks

James

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I currently mix music for dance performances, but normally use mp3 or CD tracks within the mixes... Can this be achieved with GarageBand also?"

Garageband can't edit mp3 tracks in "native" format (that is, as mp3's). Rather, it will import them and convert them on-the-fly into aiff (CD) format.

To mix two individual tracks, I think you'd want to do this:
    - Create a new GB project
    - In the project, you'll need two "basic" tracks, no effects
    - Put track 1 into the first GB track and track 2 into the second (naturally!)
    - You can "move" track 2 along in the timeline to where you want the mix to occur
    - Set up automation (volume) to fade in/out where you want
    - When done, you can "export" the project into an aiff file, or convert it back to mp3 (aiff is probably better in this case).

3. ObuckiO, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

ObuckiO macrumors regular

I mix songs together in GarageBand with "Loops". There are a lot of tutorials on youtube, and google on making loops in GarageBand.///I use "VirtualDJ Home" (free in app store), to mix songs without recording them. It has a recording button, but i think that is on the upgrade version. Plus...Both steps is with music that is already in itunes.