mixing program that have a beatmap options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by O.T, Apr 1, 2009.

1. O.T macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just switched from PC to Mac. On my PC I used Acid Pro a lot. I searched a lot on forums, read a lot of topics with people looking for an equivalent program to Acid Pro on Mac, and I understood that doesn't exist.

Though on Acid I only used a few features, and particularly the beatmapper wizzard. I used it to mix tracks (electro) together. For example I start a project at 130 bpm. I open tracks in this project and the beatmapper wizzard determinate their bpm, and once it's done, the program automaticaly set them to 130 bpm. Like this I can mix easily my tracks together. I'm from Switzerland, I'm not sure about my english, mostly when it comes to explaining technical things, so here is a link to a screenshot i took when using Acid, it may help to understand what I'm saying. Plus, I really liked the interface of Acid, so it may also help for advices...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/18/658524/screenshot.jpg

That was pretty much the only things I used on Acid. After reading topics on this subject, I can tell Abelton Live can probably do this, but I'm not 100% sure, and as Abelton is kind of expensive, I don't want to do a mistake. Plus, if there are some cheaper programs that can do that kind of operations, I'd be interested to learn about them.

Thank you for your time!

2. deej999 macrumors regular

Live

Ableton Live does all you want and much much more

3. O.T thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you, i'll dig in this direction. still is there other programs that have these abilities

4. O.T thread starter macrumors newbie

what about Logic Express 8? does it have these options?

5. deej999 macrumors regular

Yes! Logic Express 8 has ways to do this:

e.g with audio that's been recorded in the project (Follow tempo)...
    Apple Loops (follow tempo and/or pitch)
    Beat mapping (probably not what you want)
    Match project Tempo to audio track's length (manual procedure)
    Time stretching (changes the tempo of the original audio file to the project)

Some say, Ableton Live is easier to work with. I like both!

6. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Ableton Live Lite does everything you need.

It comes as a freebie with a lot of audio interfaces from Digidesign and M-Audio.

It not only does everything you describe but you can get some ok sounding, perfectly free software synths that it runs just fine for adding your own stuff over the top. I got a very ropey sounding TB-303 emulator that does a bad job of acid bass but perfectly emulates the whole "Bleep Techno" early 90s shefield sound of LFO for instance.

If I knew where I could upload 50Mb of aac audio for free with no questions asked as to the copyright content, I'd show you a mix I did myself.

Here's the track listing anyway:

1) Now Is The Time (Vote '08 Remix) - The Crystal Method
    2) You (Elite Force Remix) - Elite Force
    3) Avenge - Combichrist
    4) Vernon's Wonderland (Hybrid Mix) - Vernon's Wonderland
    5) Fibonacci Sequence (Luminscent's Extended Hybrid Mix) - BT
    6) We Want Your Soul - Adam Freeland
    7) Apollo (Album Version) - Way Out West
    8) True To Form - Hybrid featuring Peter Hook
    9) Satellite - BT
    10) Electro War (The Son of Robot Remix) - My Vitriol

All mastered and brought back into live lite for some extra tweaking with a multiband eq, compressor and brick wall limiter to level it out.

7. O.T thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks. But about Ableton live Lite, you say it comes as a freebie with some other programs? But can it be purchased alone? I watched on the Abbleton website and didn't find it.

Otherwise, which programs does it come with for free?

8. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I believe it comes free with the entire range of Protools LE systems apart from the Mbox2 Micro

My Mbox2 came with Ableton Live Lite (with a free downloadable upgrade to Live Lite 7) and loads of other free stuff.

If you google Live Lite, it shows quite a few products that come with the software.

In the UK you can buy Ableton Live 7 LE for as little as £84, or you can get Live Lite free with an E-mu Xboard 25 controller keyboard for £79