Mixing RAM on the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacCurry, Oct 27, 2007.

1. MacCurry macrumors 6502

I have on:
    Riser 1: 2-512MB sticks of Nanya RAM
    Riser 2: 2-512MB sticks of Crucial RAM
    For a total of 2 GB RAM

I want to add Omni-Technolgies RAM on:
    Riser 2: 2-2GB sticks
    For a total of 6 GB RAM

I can get it for $185, including shipping as advertised, and it seems to be a great deal. Is this a good idea or a bad one to mix and match? My past experience tells me this is a bad idea, but if it passes parity tests, then it should be fine. I'm going to upgrade to Leopard next week and then order this RAM. If I order 4 GB (4-1GB sticks) of Crucial RAM from Newegg, it wil cost me about $338 which is about $138 above my $200 budget for RAM upgrade. I got the mac pro in Sep 06, and plan to keep it until 2011.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Others here like Omni. I don't. (Check resellerratings.com before making your final choice)

There isn't any intrinsic problem with mixing brands, as long as both brands are well made, conform to the specifications, and are 100% compatible.

BTW, you should install your largest modules in Riser A sockets 1 and 2, and relocate the 512s to sockets 3 and 4. There is a speed penalty to memory access on the 3 rd and 4th sockets, so you want your largest amount of memory to live in 1 and 2.

3. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I've used 2GB in my macbook pro and they work great, I am planning on also getting the 2x2GB sticks as soon as the new MP's ship (assuming they run the same ram) then another 4GB later on....For 180 bucks you can't beat it. They also have heatsinks that match apples specs.

4. MacCurry thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, and I only heard about them from this forum and assumed they would be good. I'll definitely think twice about Omni Technologies. When its too good to be true, then it generally is.