Mixture of things - needed to let it out. :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by klb028, May 26, 2007.

  1. klb028 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #1
    Hey everyone.

    I recently made a topic that can be found here. It started off as some sort of rant about how people give each other in general hassle about buying a computer that they don't necessarily "need" even when they have the full capability too. Towards the end, the discussion started to turn into a MBP or Macbook? kind of thing and it got me to thinking quite a bit. I did more research and I've even dropped by the local Apple store twice in the past few days. I'm feeling more confident with my decision and I can't wait to buy. I want to have zero regrets in my purchase. With school being out and already seeing people heading off to college or summer school as well as hearing about C2D Macbooks (that are BTO) being shipped a lot earlier than expected, it's hard to just sit back and wait for myself to finally get the courage to order my first Mac.

    One of the biggest problems is waiting for WWDC to pass. It's almost here and I would just hate knowing I slipped too fast, you know? There's no sense in paying the same amount for something that will be upgraded in a few weeks - if it is at all. (This is not a WWDC Macbook/MBP rant, just FYI.) I'm having a completely hard time holding out, though... and I'm running out of things to make time go by faster. :(

    I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. It'd help if my parents were a little bit more supportive - they're still stuck in "The PC World" like no other. I think I'm going to take my dad by the Apple store and have someone talk to the both of us about the laptops more and explain things a little bit better before I buy just to make sure, you know? When I went into the Apple store this afternoon, a nice man I see there often greeted me and informed me on their "One to One" support system and also informed me about their Personal Shopping system as well. I think both are actually very neat, interesting and helpful. Definitely interested!

    I honestly have no idea where this thread was going... haha. I think I'm just really confused/extremely anxious at this point and I need some fellow posters out there to let me know I'm not the only one. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. :)
     
  2. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #2
    I didn't read that whole other thread, but I would definitely wait until WWDC. The Macbook Pro is overdue for an update, and it should be fairly major I'd guess. (Or at worst, worth waiting a few weeks for.)

    I'd also get 2GB of RAM, as that seems to be the sweet spot right now. 1GB is usable (technically 512MB is usable), but 2GB lets you open whatever you want without worrying about your system slowing down.

    It may be cheaper to buy RAM from like Crucial.com afterwards, although I think the last time Apple updated the Macbook Pro, the RAM was priced competitively (but now isn't, since they haven't adjusted it's price since then).
     
  3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #3
    Apple ram is way to expensive. I have always used Crucial without problems. :)

    FJ
     
  4. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    It's so hard waiting for it though - 3 more weeks! :( I'm just getting so incredibly impatient now that I know I can buy whenever, you know?
     
  5. jng macrumors 65816

    jng

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Germany
    #5
    You said you'd be going with your parents so I guess you're still in school, in which case - you can wait. You're not in dire need of a new computer right now.

    I bought a new Mac Book Pro 3 weeks ago (but I needed it since I'm a web designer) and if they do indeed release a new MBP at WWDC, I may just kick myself in the arse for having "pulled the trigger" so soon.

    Yes, waiting is rough. But you only have 3 weeks or so to go.
     
  6. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    For what? Your machine is very powerful, and web developing won't even make it break a sweat. Further, the SR upgrade will not make that much difference in real performance. Enjoy it.
     
  7. jng macrumors 65816

    jng

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Germany
    #7
    Of course. But I'm a die hard apple fan so I'd want the latest one. Heh.
     
  8. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #8
    Yeah. You don't want to know how long I've been waiting to buy a laptop :D

    Depends on what you use it for. Hopefully the Macbook Pro will finally move up to a mid-range GPU. And a more powerful CPU and possibly built-in flash aren't going to hurt anything.

    Hopefully it'll have a redesign with a user replaceable hard drive too...
     
  9. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #9
    I'm not in school. I just graduated high school and I'm starting college in August. I wanted my dad to come just to come. :)
     
  10. jng macrumors 65816

    jng

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Germany
    #10
    College is still school. ;)
     
  11. 66217 Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2006
    #11
    If you need it, buy it. Otherwise, waiting 3 weeks to see if there is any upgrade would be the best thing to do.

    But remember, maybe they will announce an upgrade in 3 weeks, but the computers may start shipping till more than 1-2 weeks after that. And then you would want to wait for Leopard to be pre-installed in the Mac. So it may as well be a never ending game.:)

    Technology changes so fast that the best advice I can give is to buy when you need, don't worry about the next generation technology coming in the near future.
     
  12. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #12
    Yeah, but spending the $80 on Leopard is a lot cheaper than having to buy a whole new computer sooner.
     

Share This Page