MKV, AVI, etc support in Mavericks Quicklook

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by garagethrash, Oct 8, 2013.

1. garagethrash macrumors member

When i switched to OS X one of the things that blew me away was how easy it was to preview any file with quicklook. Now with perian discontinued and it being incompatible with Mavericks, I'm hoping an equivalent replacement is not far off. I can't find any evidence of anything currently being developed on the net though. Anyone have any info of new developments to support mavericks? I guess when Mavs is released to the public there will be a lot more people asking why perian no longer works.

2. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

I just use VLC for any file that's incompatible. Although that wont solve the Quick Look issue.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Perian was such a fantastic app. It's too bad they ceased development.

4. ViewRoyal macrumors member

Perian replacement needed

I agree. Perian is a Quicktime plugin that gives preview icons to all video files in the Finder, and allows you to quickly play those video files in the Finder using QuickLook.

If you need to play any video file without converting it, use VLC... but even VLC is not a replacement for Perian, because it is a video player, not a Quicktime plugin that works in the Finder. :(

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If only the VLC team would make the VLC engine a plugin...

6. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

There is already a framework to use vlc in third-party apps. I think it wouldn't be to hard to make a QuickLook plugin out of it.

7. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Losing quick look functions for movie files that perian previously provided makes me so mad...

Anyway here's hoping that someone smarter than I will figure out a good solution to providing alternate video codec quick look functionality on Mavericks... :mad: