MKV Converter for the Basic User

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superjew377, Oct 3, 2008.

1. superjew377 macrumors newbie

superjew377

does anybody know of a program that will convert an MKV movie file into .avi or possibly .mp4? I would like to burn the MKV to a DVD using Toast Titanium, and have it be watchable on at least any computer, but hopefully any DVD player.

I know my way around a mac pretty well, but I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to terminal or using code.

Thanks

2. Habusho macrumors 6502

I think Videolan actually does this. Go to Videolan.org, and read on the forums.

3. superjew377 thread starter macrumors newbie

superjew377

i dont want to say that there is nothing on the videolan site about doing that, but after looking for maybe a half hour I couldn't find anything

anybody else?

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Give Handbrake's newest snapshot a try seems they have added this to it.

http://handbrake.fr/?article=snapshot

Edit: Just tried it here converted too .mp4 without problems when I tried .avi it crashed so YMMV using it.

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I like the Perian + QTPro/QTAmateur combination. Open mkv, save as mov. (If there are mkv features that Toast might choke on you might want to extract just the audio and video streams and combine them in a new file.)

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

That is ridiculously slow compared to ffmpeg/mencoder based conversions. The comparison is around 7fps in QT vs 23fps in ffmpeg with a Mac Mini 1.83ghz 4GB ram (3.3 actually available for use).