.mkv file play in mac? make movie with .mkv file?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hatemail13, Aug 24, 2008.

1. hatemail13 macrumors member

I got a .mkv file....will it play on a macbook pro...and if yes how?

also what can i use (video editing software wise) to import it so as to make a dvd out of it?

thanks

btw...does macbook pro allow for burning a file onto a dvd to make a dvd movie?

like if it wanted to put the .mkv file onto a dvd..can i do it with a macbook pro

2. yrael macrumors newbie

Two ways to play: either get vlc that has all the codecs included, or perian which allows quicktime to play mkvs.

To burn in order to play it on a dvd... well that's tricky. Most of the time, people will convert it so that programs can burn it so normal dvd players can play them.

If your macbook has a "superdrive," it is well within it's capabilities.

It's probably better to google this, or even search within this forum for the answers, since it's probably been answered by people already.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

download Perian to play the .mkv in QuickTime or play it in VLC.

to make a DVD out of a .mkv file it must be converted to MPEG2 DVD format i.e. .vob files which will cause a decrease in quality.

the easiest way to do this would be to make a DVD-Video in Toast or you can use the included iDVD… but first you must convert the .mkv to a QuickTime compatible video format using either QuickTime Pro, VisualHub or ffmepgx

4. hatemail13 thread starter macrumors member

is there a way to convert the file into something that wont lose quality? will *avi cause a loss in quality?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

to be a DVD-video you have to convert it to DVD format which will cause a loss in quality as the video format inside the .mkv container has already been compressed in size.

if your DVD player can play xvid and divx you could just try burning the .mkv file to a DVD and see if it plays. im not sure if the file extension has to be renamed to ".avi" though?