MKV files stuttering with VLC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

I thought my MBP should be able to copy with MKV files, but when I try to play some 1080p movie rips on my MBP, the video stutters quite a bit. Anything I can do about this?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

1. Use better software (Plex).
    2. Use a lower bit rate file.
    3. Use a 720p file.

Personally, I'd go with #1. ;)

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some 1080p content are poorly encoded.

FYI, 720p looks virtually the same unless you are paying attention to image detail instead of the story.

4. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Since VLC uses 100% CPU driven decoding it's not surprising that you might get stutter. For a full 50mbps h264 decode you need dual 3ghz+ last I checked.

If there is something to allow quicktime to playback mkv's you will have less stuttering since it can do GPU offloading.

5. isaki87 macrumors regular

Perian works like a charm. Its a Quicktime preference pane that allows it to play multiple formats, such as avi, mkv, flv, divx, and others.

http://perian.org/#detail

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

The trouble is, VLC is 100% CPU dependant, but it only uses 50% of your CPU's capability. It only uses one core, so in Activity monitor you can see it using up 50% of the CPU and the video stuttering like hell. Hopefully this can be addressed once Snow Leopard is released, and a new version of VLC either uses Grand Central for Dual Core support, or better yet GPU acceleration.

CoreAVC is a very good decoder for windows, with my old 1.8GHz laptop I was able to play 1080P flawlessly, but they have no intentions to make a mac version :(.