.mkv --> hd dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by smokin427, Feb 9, 2010.

1. smokin427 macrumors newbie

hey, ive searched the forum pretty thoroughly and cant find exactly what im looking for, so hopefully someone can provide a solution to my problems or a link.

i have 1080 quality mkv files. i want to burn them onto hd dvds that can be played on my hdtv.

1. what program burns 1080 quality dvds and what file format does the movie have to be? (macbook pro)
    2. if i need to convert the file format, what program can do so with no reduction in video quality?
    3. any other tips??

thanks
    cody

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, but can you tell me where you obtained those files, as I'm still searching for those too.

Have you taken a look at Toast Titanium? You need a HD-DVD or Blu Ray burner too.

3. smokin427 thread starter macrumors newbie

the 'legally' obtained files? lol and cant my macbook burn hd dvds, or do i really need a new burner?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, I would like to know where to purchase 1080p content as I have no Blu Ray Player and I want to compare prices, to see if the purchase of the physical media might be cheaper in the long run or not. And I like Dexter, although series three was a bit weaker than the rest.

And yes, your MacBook can't burn HD-DVDs or Blu Ray media, as the Superdrive can only burn CDs and DVDs. You can verify that by looking at the specs of Apple's official www presentation of their computers at www.apple.com/mac .
    Or you take a look at System Profiler > Hardware > ATA or S-ATA.

5. smokin427 thread starter macrumors newbie

hah i keep editing my posts while youre responding. but ****, i didnt know i needed a separate burner, i guess this is all out of the question now.... i paid 10 bucks for a rapidshare membership and downloaded season 3. i heard season 4 is great though.

well thanks for the help

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

How the hell is that legally obtained?

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Toast will burn HD DVD (or Blu-ray) compliant 1080p HD content onto a conventional 4.7 GB (or 9.5 GB Dual-Layer) DVD. I've done that with my HD-camcorder-recorded home movies, to play them on my HD DVD player.

They work just fine. You can fit about half an hour on a single-layer DVD, or a full hour on a dual-layer DVD.

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

with .mkv files, you are better off getting a media player that hooks up via HDMI (like the WD TV)... burning each one to a disc is going to lose quality and take a long time.