littlebidee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I have a bunch of MKV files and Quicktime Player won't let me play them.
The weird thing is, I used to play Modern Family videos in MKV with perian, but I never knew. Recently, I got my hands on Game of Thrones and noticed it was in MKV, I didn't know I could already play it, so I googled and downloaded Perian, although I already had Perian... I tried playing Game of Thrones and it wouldn't work. It said I needed to check out some codecs i could download for Quicktime to play the files. It sent me to the apple support downloads and gave me a list of third party software i could download for different video extensions. But what is extremely stupid is, MKV isn't in one of the options. Seriously, how stupid is that? I then tried playing my Modern family files and they suddenly don't work either. This is very weird to me cause I was able to play these files before... I basically ****ed myself over downloading Perian again. I don't know why this would happen. I can't watch any MKV files. I uninstalled it and downloaded it again but to no avail. I tried Quicktime player 7 and it doesn't work either. All it says is: This file is not a movie file.
I downloaded VLC but it wouldn't play the files either. When I played the file on VLC nothing would appear. The loading bar would display the file name for a split second and then... nothing. This is all extremely frustrating to me cause I was able to play MKV files in the past with no problems, and then now I can't.
I'm on OS X Lion.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Both QuickTime Player with Perian installed and VLC will easily play .mkv files. It sounds like there's something wrong with the files.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I do not believe Perian has been updated with 10-bit support. I tend to use MPlayerX or VLC 1.3.0 nightly for MKV playback.

wicked23

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
Houston
I have been trying to play MKV file on VLC and I can hear the background audio but none of the voices. Any solutions to this?

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
You could try out Mac Blu-ray Player. It's sort of free to try (has a watermark when playing BR movies). I like its ui and it plays everything I throw at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.