MKV movie problems on MACPRO

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mastersoft, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mastersoft macrumors member

HI,

i have macpro 8 core..2.8ghz/ati2600xt/6gb ram/640gb and when i play a MKV movie files in full screen ( 2560*1600 ON 30 " MONITOR) i see movie IN FRAMES ... i try on vista x64 ultimate - VLC , mediaplayer clasic - frames ....OSX -vlc, QUICKTIME...frames :mad:

when i see the movie ONLY IN window ..all is OK !! any ideea ???

THX .

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

3. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Seems like VLC should be able to handle it... depending on what you're playing it could just be too much to handle. Maybe try mplayer as well, or even Quicktime (install Perian first) and let Quicktime parse through the whole thing (you'll see the bar slowly fill up).

I play 720p stuff full screen with no problem... been a while since I've done 1080p but I'm pretty sure that worked fine as well (2.8 8-core, 8800GT) at 1900x1200. The higher resolution of that monitor might just be too much :confused:

Try lowering the resolution to 1900x1200 and then doing full screen to maybe see if the problem is somehow full-screen playing, or the resolution.

4. mastersoft thread starter macrumors member

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

6. mastersoft thread starter macrumors member

i try using new VLC...i try to setup the POST PROCESSING QUALITY at 2 ...BUT it dosent save me the settings .... i think this is the problem... POST PROCESSING

i try with PLEX but i cand use mouse in this aplication :(

Attached Files:

• cod.JPG
      cod.JPG
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

how big is the movie you're trying to play? If its too high data rate its likely that your hdd that can't keep up, not the cpu/gpu

also, iirc, .mkv is a container, do you know what format its actually encoded in? [i.e. h.264 etc]

8. mastersoft thread starter macrumors member

9. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Yeah, that sounds like it might be too much video.

When you go to full screen, on top of decoding the video the program has to scale to fit the screen as well, whereas with windowed mode it's just directly decoding without any scaling. Doing full screen just might be too much for the computer to handle.