MKV on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by wirelessimports, Jun 6, 2010.

1. wirelessimports macrumors member

I wanted to know if anyone knows of a program either from the app store or from within the jailbreak that allows to move MKV's onto the iPad without needing to be converted or streamed from my computer over wifi.

2. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

3. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

I have it installed now, but it seems to be software made for the iPhone to stream over the net from the computer which is what Im avoiding.

I'm looking for software to enable me to play MKV videos on the iPad natively.

4. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

yxplayer in the appstore does - a little choppy though.

5. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

6. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. yx was crap like you said and not worth it (maybe worth it for avi's though). And I guess I am a lazy noob, I'd rather just have the simple program like yx (as long as it works proper). Any kind of work will have to be done over and over again and just loses the appeal of getting a movie on there to begin with.

7. Ral67 macrumors newbie

if you are that lazy I suggest you buy/rent your movies through iTunes :)

8. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

I guess, I'm just not a programmer and don't want to mess with code even if it's simple. I'm surprised there isn't a program out there that can handle MKVs and play them good.

Thanks though.

9. AIRniloc macrumors regular

AIRniloc

Vlc4iphone is not a streaming app...

Just make a folder named vlc in /var/mobile/media then ssh into your iPad and place your .mkv files in your newly created folder

Then launch vlc4iphone and navigate to your new folder...

10. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

This is probably a really stupid question but is there a way to watch vids in full screen on vlc4iphone?

Edit: have had a look and it doesn't look like there's any way to view in full screen. Makes the app not too useful.