MKV to AVI converter? anyone?? *HELP*

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hishat, Jan 19, 2009.

1. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

i have been downloading many HD movies, and they all come in the famous .mkv format, been searching google and all but all the signs point to windows :( does anyone know of a good solution to converting mkv to avi? i dont mind paying for an application although a free program will be great :)

thanks in advance guys :)

regards

2. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I know it isn't AVI but the latest version of Handbrake converts the MKV's to MP4's or M4V's and can use the h.264 codec.

That's what i use.

3. evilspoons macrumors member

AVI and MKV are just containers. MKV usually contains h.264 video the same way MP4 and M4V and therefore AVI can. Many AVI files also contain DivX, Xvid, or other variations on MPEG-4v3.

Is there any particular reason you need AVI? You can play MKV files just fine using VLC.

4. hishat thread starter macrumors regular

hishat

to be honest it really doesnt matter what the final format is, as long as my ps3 can recognize it! iv tried visual hub, but for some reason my ps3 says unsupported file.

any further assitance would be very helpful!

thanks!

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Handbrake should be able to do it. It has presets for various devices, I think it has a PS3 one (it has an Xbox 360 at least).

Or depending on the codecs used, you might be able to use MPEGstreamclip to just save the video into a new container without converting. But it depends on what the PS3 can play, and what codecs are supported from what containers.

7. hishat thread starter macrumors regular

hishat

can any1 give me the default settings i need to use in order to get handbrake to function properly and display in HD on my ps3?

i have tried with one, still got the unsupported file on my ps3. ???? im so in the dark about this.

thank you in advance