MKV to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamA9, Jun 27, 2010.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys.

I got myself some Blue Ray MKV files, and want to add them to my iPhone 4. I have handbrake, however, I'm not sure on the settings I should use. Should I just leave it as default and go, or tweak to get the full HD experience on my iPhone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

From what I've read people are suggesting to use the nightly build found here and choosing the iPad preset but lower the width to 960. From that link just choose the Mac 32 or 64 bit version.

Although I haven't tried this myself it seems to be the best way until they add an iPhone 4 preset.

3. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent, thanks. And I just output straight to MP4 and that'll work on iTunes and go on the iPhone?

4. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I just tried the nightly with iPad preset and it didn't play back correctly for me. Not even in quicktime.

It did work with the current 0.9.4 version using the normal preset (from the tray on the right) and kept the constant quality at the standard 60.78%. I went to "Picture Settings" and selected anamorphic loose, make sure "keep aspect ratio is checked, lower width to 960 and make sure modulus is on 16. This worked just fine.

It brought the file size of the 720p movie trailer from 70 MB to 27 MB and kept the picture quality.

5. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I have used Handbrake to convert video to my iPod Touch 4Gen, it worked fine. Maybe the resolution is too high for your iPhone4, just keep the resolution under 720P and the codec must be H.264, MP4 format. Maybe you can also try to use this free tool, I used the pro version, I just select the profile as iPhone4 and convert. it's very convenient.

6. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Converting all your videos for iPhone is ridiculous these days. Get yourself a proper app that will play these file types. I've found AVplayerHD will play just about anything you can throw at it.

7. staeit, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

staeit macrumors member

Handbrake is NOT the way to go for MKV on iPhone. Use this tool. It REMUXES rather than re-encodes the video. Most .mkv files you can find have h264 video streams which the iPhone 4 is completely capable of playing. The only thing that needs to be fixed is the audio. The tool automatically downmixes either dts or ac3 surround sound to aac - the audio is transcoded, but the video stream is passed through. Transcoding video will ALWAYS have some loss in quality, but remuxing the stream will not. BTW that link is my personally packed version of mkvavi2mp4 - the one you download from sourceforge has an mp4box that is incapable of muxing into large (>4GB) mp4's.

This is beneficial not only in that no video quality is lost, but also in that the hardware decoder on the iPhone is used rather than the software encoder in avplayer or cinexplayer. And most of the time you can sync directly to the native iPod app.

I had looked into this for several months - an optimal way to play mkv files on an iPhone, and this is the best way for several reasons. Encoding/downmixing the audio is the most time-consuming step, but since video isn't re-encoded it takes very little time to simply remux, and no quality is lost. It's a very well designed tool :)

If you can find .mkv files with an h264 video stream and aac 2.0 audio, then it will take about 2 minutes to remux an entire bluray movie from mkv to mp4. But you're most likely going to see that most movies are ac3 5.1 or dts 5.1 - some tv shows, especially web-dl shows, may have AAC audio.

Note: for whatever reason (I'm not sure of the technical details) this doesn't work as well for avi/xvid video streams. Also, you might want to remove the subtitles stream from the mkv if you don't want subs.

8. Pomeless macrumors regular

Good to know. Thanks for the posting!

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't know about you, but most of my MKVs are 20GB+ (bluray audio/video muxed into an mkv container). Even if the iPhone can decode those files (I'm not sure if it can handle 1080p content), I'd run out of space with just one movie (and in some cases, a movie wouldn't even come close to fitting).

Since I'm less likely to notice compression artifacts on the iphone screen, I usually transcode my movies to about 1.5mbps and 960 width.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

20GB+ for MKV? where you downloading yours? lol I go for 720p mkv files they tend to max out at about 5GB a file.... I use goodplayer app on my phone has played everything I chucked at it plus you can stream to it

11. twitt3r macrumors 6502

What's "Blue Ray" and "bluray"? I'm quite sure those have never been trademarked...

I also go for 720p MKV files around 5GB, no point going for higher res or larger file size because of the compression used. When you have 350+ films to store, 20GB each would eat up rather a lot of space.

Besides, MKV is just a file container. The origin of the source has nothing to do with it. Blu-ray is purely a disc format, nothing more, nothing less, offering larger storage capacities needed to store films encoded at the higher bit rates.

12. harold58 macrumors newbie

makemkv is pretty good, and free. If you are interested in it, here is a step by step guide about how to use it

13. BlackTofu macrumors member

Most of time I will use an video player app to playback the video.

14. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The best way to recommend software is to provide a link to the developer's site, not some random dropbox link.

16. sporkish macrumors newbie

ive tried a bunch of mkv converters for mac and the one i prefer the best is turbo h.264 HD

its $50 which is pricey considering the app store/mac app store have driven prices down on software.

anyway, in my experience its been a very good program converting 200+ video files so far (HD & SD videos)

17. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Just convert it to MP4, iPhone 4 doesn't have a 720p screen, so it's not even HD if you view it.

18. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

mkv 720p/1080p --> handbrake --> m4v video --> add to itunes --> stream/sync to iPhone

I use default settings with normal profile .. Works fine albeit takes time to encode, mine around 30/40 mins for 2hrs movie with 1080p on iMac :)

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I prefer having longer battery life, so I'm going to keep converting video files to the format that doesn't wear my phone down.

20. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

If the video is 720P and x264, I just use Subler to reparce the file into a m4v and have the program convert the audio to AAC - this leaves the video untouched.

Works great to display on all of my iOS products.

21. staeit macrumors member

Bit of a late reply, but it's not a random dropbox link; it's my own dropbox link. It is slightly changed from the one distributed at sourceforge in that the mp4box enclosed is one that can handle files > 4GB.