Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jthompson666

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
Smart Converter Pro is dead simple, and depending on the target format will automatically convert or extract the format in the .mkv to the correct format. Say you have a .mkv that encapsulates mp4 video and want the target platform to be Playstation 3. It will simply extract the mp4 (and convert the audio if necessary). I highly recommend this for dead simple MKV conversions. Now if you need to do more advanced transcoding, like say target a file size, etc... This isn't the program to use.

http://www.shedworx.com/smart-converter-pro

I use this as well for simple conversions - the paid version is much better and for the average home user it provides all the functionality you could ask for!

MagicMacMan

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I use my Apple TV more than cable and import a lot of video into very frequently. Everything I do is generally .mkv. So MKV is a Motroska video file and really just a container. They are (generally) still h.264 video files in a .mkv container. That means certain apps can strip away the container, and repackage it with a more usable format such as mp4/m4v (same thing). I've tried a lot of apps but the best one I've been using lately to do this is iFlicks. It simply repackages it and makes it iTunes compatible without having to deal with loss of quality or changing audio video preferences. You can look on the app store for it and I would recommend it. It can change the container, add meta data, and import to iTunes in a minute or two.

There are others beyond iFlicks, this is just the one I personally prefer at the moment. There has been continuous active development and new features added that make it work well for me. I've used iVI, Handbrake, and several others before I settled down with iFlicks.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I use my Apple TV more than cable and import a lot of video into very frequently. Everything I do is generally .mkv. So MKV is a Motroska video file and really just a container. They are (generally) still h.264 video files in a .mkv container. That means certain apps can strip away the container, and repackage it with a more usable format such as mp4/m4v (same thing). I've tried a lot of apps but the best one I've been using lately to do this is iFlicks. It simply repackages it and makes it iTunes compatible without having to deal with loss of quality or changing audio video preferences. You can look on the app store for it and I would recommend it. It can change the container, add meta data, and import to iTunes in a minute or two.

There are others beyond iFlicks, this is just the one I personally prefer at the moment. There has been continuous active development and new features added that make it work well for me. I've used iVI, Handbrake, and several others before I settled down with iFlicks.
Why am I just now learning this! I spend so much time running handbrake to convert. Didn't realize I could just use a program that would take like 5 mins.

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
Why am I just now learning this! I spend so much time running handbrake to convert. Didn't realize I could just use a program that would take like 5 mins.
IVI Lite from the AppStore takes between 1 to 3 minutes depending on size, drops it straight into iTunes , works with practically all file formats as well as mkv and best of all it's Free!

Reactions: absolut_mac

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
IVI Lite from the AppStore takes between 1 to 3 minutes depending on size, drops it straight into iTunes , works with practically all file formats as well as mkv and best of all it's Free!
Well I dislike iTunes, but if this will work with my NAS and plex, I'm sold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.