MKV to MP4 (full HD)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ufkdo, Jan 3, 2011.

1. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I wanna convert some mkv 1080p files into MP4 without losing any quality because I wanna add them to my itunes library (with that way my movies will be organized). Can someone tell me a "free" application which can handle this? My all intention is converting mkv to mp4, so I hope there is a free and good app for this. (I prefer Mac version, but windows version is also good)

Kind regards.

2. brian2001nd macrumors newbie

MKVtools worked great for me to convert mkv to mp4. You can do single movies one at a time with the free version, or buy a registered copy and get additional features.

3. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Movie2iTunes will create a reference file that will allow the movie to be watched in iTunes. You might check to see that it can work with MKVs. This would only be a good solution if you're just watching your movies on your mac; you will not be able to transfer the movies to an iPod or stream them to an aTV if you use this. If you're looking to re-encode them to mp4, check out HandBrake.

http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html
    http://handbrake.fr/

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am using Handbrake and I am really happy with it.

5. ufkdo thread starter macrumors 6502

I will only watch on my mac, so Movie2iTunes seemed a good solution, but it did not work (Perian plug-in of quick time is installed). I also cannot open mkv files on quicktime :(

BTW, thanks for the answers.

6. ufkdo thread starter macrumors 6502

Uhh! Stupid me, I found how to do it with quicktime (converted it into .mov) :) I am new at mac (only 2 months) so I'll say things happen.

Thanks everyone.