.mkv video conversion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by campeao, Jan 27, 2009.

1. campeao macrumors newbie

So I've just downloaded a .mkv file or two, and I'd like to convert them to a different video file so that Toast Titanium will recognize them for burning.

Does anyone know of any free .mkv converters?
    If not, could you direct me toward a priced one so that I can see whether or not its worth the cost?

Thanks beforehand.

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

3. silvine macrumors member

Hi,

I have several MKV files that I am trying to put onto a DVD to play on a player or in an Xbox 360.

However, everytime I convert the MKV files the output file is only encoded in stereo sound. I've tried both MP4 and AVI using Handbrake and burning with Toast Titanium.

Does anyone know where I am going wrong or if I should use another programme. And what's the best format to encode MKV files in?

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Check the Audio tab in Handbrake to change what format the sound will be in. Keep in mind that depending on the format you're using the options are limited (i.e. you can't have a MP4 with AC3 audio, but AVI will work fine).

The best format is the one that works best with the device you'll be playing the file on. MP4s are quite happy on the Xbox but AVIs work too. Keep in mind AVI it just a container and what matters is how the video and audio are encoded.

5. silvine macrumors member

Okay didn't realist AVI was a container too.

Now I am trying to encode an MKV file to AVI container encoded as MPEG-4. Howevever, Handbrake will only let me select MP3 (lame) as the audio codec. Everytime I select AAC it switches back to MP3 (lame). This only produces stereo sound though.