MKV Video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silverwings47, Sep 7, 2012.

1. silverwings47 macrumors newbie

How do you play MKV videos on Mac? My mac is ver. 10.6.8. I've tried VLC, Quicktime(with Perian), DivX and some other. None worked. VLC is probably the most successful one, it can play the video but there's no audio. The vlc error window shows that "VLC does not support the video or audio format 'cook'. Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this." Help?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What version of VLC are you running? This thread suggests the problem may exist with older versions, but a newer version should work. It's also possible the file is corrupt.

3. silverwings47 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was fast... My VLC is 2.0.2, I followed the link and downloaded "vlc-2.1.0-x86_64-20120906-1754-vlckit" and "vlc-2.1.0-x86_64-20120907-0112.zip" (Not sure which one to download...) but I don't know what to do with them...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the 2.0 series is more stable, I recommend you try vlc-2.0.4-x86_64-20120907-1405.zip

5. silverwings47 thread starter macrumors newbie

Downloaded that one and it has the same problem with my original VLC... The video played but there was no sound.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It could be the video file itself. Have you tried it on other computers?

7. silverwings47 thread starter macrumors newbie

No... But I tried playing other MKV videos and they all had the same problem.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Interesting. I've never had a problem with MKV files in VLC, but I use Plex to play all movies, TV shows and music videos.

9. silverwings47 thread starter macrumors newbie

It played the video, with audio... for one second, then it freezes and log out for me... o_O And how do you make it not fullscreen?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you make what not fullscreen? VLC? Or Plex? For VLC, pressing the escape key "esc" should take it out of full screen. For Plex, Command-F will toggle full screen mode.

11. silverwings47 thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked~! I got Plex to play the MKV videos~! Thanks~!
    But I'm not really used to it... Is there any simple guide? I'm playing the videos by right-clicking the file and open it with Plex, and I can't find the controller(if there is one) to play/pause, rewind/forward the video...

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Plex site has great support documents and a forum. I've found everything I need to know about Plex there, including keyboard shortcuts. You can also use the Plex app for iPhone to remote control Plex from your iPhone.