ML and disk space

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Irock619, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

If I chose to upgrade, will ML install an additional 4gb of space on my drive? Or will it delete Lion and install ML, therefore breaking even? I have an 256Gb SSD, I try to limit the amount of files saved on the drive. I am tempting to wipe the disk and do a clean install just to avoid an additional 4GB of space taken up on my drive. Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It replaces Lion with ML. Many have reported that it actually saves a GB or so.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

A full install is about 8gb, should be very similar to Lion. Doing a clean install will initially save you space from a lack of cache files and stuff, but after a few weeks it wont be any different.

4. silentbob007 macrumors regular

I installed on my 64 GB MBA without any issue. It did free up some space.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It install Mountain Lion over top of Lion, so you don't have both when it is done... just Mountain Lion. It even deletes the 4GB installer after completing the install. I ended up with about 4GB MORE drive space available after I upgraded.

6. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

4GB!!! That's awesome. I will upgrade first. If it uses a lot of space then I will do a fresh install and restore a couple things from TM.