Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I typically change default "suspend' mode on lid close to "hibernate" - when everything is being saved at the HDD and the system completely powers off.

This worked on my '12 MBP 13" under Lion, but this same laptop doesn't restore (hangs) under ML (clean install)... Anybody else has such experience?

(Please, don't tell me hibernation is not needed, not in this topic.)

P.S. Overall, I didn't notice ML being faster than Lion... same with memory usage - about the same... Wonder why I upgraded that soon... If I had Lion DVD I'd probably rolled back...

Ragnar-Kon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
I had the same issue with a 15" MBP at work. Not sure what is causing the issue, but I have a feeling it is something to do with the new Power Nap feature.

At any rate, I ended up doing a clean install on that 15" MBP due to an an unrelated issue... and it just so happened that the clean install fixed the hibernation problem as well.

Also, I typically don't install major software updates on computers I need until after the first major patch (10.8.1 in this case). Usually the initial release is less than stellar and it takes a software developer awhile to get it right. Only reason why I upgraded this Mac is because I was asked to by my boss.

vladster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I had the same issue with a 15" MBP at work. Not sure what is causing the issue, but I have a feeling it is something to do with the new Power Nap feature.

At any rate, I ended up doing a clean install on that 15" MBP due to an an unrelated issue... and it just so happened that the clean install fixed the hibernation problem as well.

Also, I typically don't install major software updates on computers I need until after the first major patch (10.8.1 in this case). Usually the initial release is less than stellar and it takes a software developer awhile to get it right. Only reason why I upgraded this Mac is because I was asked to by my boss.

Hm... thanks for your feedback.. I actually did clean install... Maybe I'll try again.

The reason I upgraded soon - I still have my old White MB that handles all the duties, so I thought I would upgrade MBP before the migration and save myself from OS upgrade for long time.

0xgone

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
France
I've a related problem, I can set the sleep mode to whatever I want with pmset Mountain Lion does not care and only put the computer in sleep (or power nap I don't now). Anyway I can't enable hibernation on disk has I used too. I'm on a new macbook air so I was wondering if it was an SSD related problem but maybe that's just a ML bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.