Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
I've noticed something that is equally amusing and worrying when one installs ML on the same disk as Lion, but on a separate partition. I've Lion on a partition called "Macintosh HD" and I've installed ML on another partition called "ML".

Lion runs quite happily, but I see some odd behaviour in ML. Basically ML the will run the Applications, show services, report apps as installed in the app store that are actually on the Lion partition. For example, I have PathFinder installed on Lion and not ML. Yet, I can use PathFinder's "Show Info" service from ML by right clicking on a file. None of the applications installed on the Lion partition show up in ML's applications folder, but they will launch quite happily if I use a service or if I navigate to them directly via Lion's partition.

I also can't install any of the apps from the App store, because they are reported as installed. I can bypass this by ejecting the Lion partition and then ML works as one would expect. The app store will now allow me to install apps.

Thinking about it, it might be because I am using the same login name and password for both Lion and ML so I'll try that, but is there a way to prevent ML from accessing Lion's partition to look for Apps, services and so forth without dismounting the Lion partition?

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
I've noticed something that is equally amusing and worrying when one installs ML on the same disk as Lion, but on a separate partition. I've Lion on a partition called "Macintosh HD" and I've installed ML on another partition called "ML".

Lion runs quite happily, but I see some odd behaviour in ML. Basically ML the will run the Applications, show services, report apps as installed in the app store that are actually on the Lion partition. For example, I have PathFinder installed on Lion and not ML. Yet, I can use PathFinder's "Show Info" service from ML by right clicking on a file. None of the applications installed on the Lion partition show up in ML's applications folder, but they will launch quite happily if I use a service or if I navigate to them directly via Lion's partition.

I also can't install any of the apps from the App store, because they are reported as installed. I can bypass this by ejecting the Lion partition and then ML works as one would expect. The app store will now allow me to install apps.

Thinking about it, it might be because I am using the same login name and password for both Lion and ML so I'll try that, but is there a way to prevent ML from accessing Lion's partition to look for Apps, services and so forth without dismounting the Lion partition?

Check your mountain lion spotlight privacy settings in system Preferences. I am certain that your Lion spotlight privacy options are being copied to your Mountain Lion install. This means Mountain Lion does not index its own partition. It is more than likely indexing the Lion partition. Therefore your app store programs will be listed as installed when they are not.

It is a bug that happens when Lion and Mountain Lion exist on the same drive. If you want a full functioning spotlight on both partitions, the privacy settings will have to be changed whenever you alternate between the OS's. This is annoying as you will have to re-build the spotlight index each time.

What I did was just forget about using spotlight in one of the partitions to avoid constant re-indexing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.