Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Hi all,

I am trying to get my head around the way nvidia and apple work. I have stumbled across a couple of posts (most likely older posts) that there was a Nvidia driver update for Lion.

Now my basic question is, is the driver in Mountain Lion newer or the same (or older?) than the downloadable driver for "Lion".

Thanks!

this is the info I got from a system check on ML:

Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.0.46

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
The 10.8 driver is newer than the Lion driver--even if the compile date is similar. The Lion version is 7.28.1 and the ML version is 8.0.46. Both are OpenGL 2.1 compatible and also (in theory) OpenGL 3.2 compliant (if an application is specificity compiled for only 10.7+ it can use OGL 3 if desired).

NVIDIA does similar stuff for its Windows NT drivers--it is common to see a more advanced driver version with an older compile date than maintenance releases for older driver stacks.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Hi all,

I am trying to get my head around the way nvidia and apple work. I have stumbled across a couple of posts (most likely older posts) that there was a Nvidia driver update for Lion.

Now my basic question is, is the driver in Mountain Lion newer or the same (or older?) than the downloadable driver for "Lion".

Thanks!

this is the info I got from a system check on ML:

Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.0.46

Does anyone know if this new 10.8 driver will be for all Nvidia cards found in Macs (MBP 2010, rMBP etc.) or just for a select few cards?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.