ML DP4 too big for DVD?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by LegendKillerUK, Jun 15, 2012.

1. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Odd problem but Disk Utility in Lion 10.7.4 is telling me that none of my DVD are large enough to fit Mountion Lion DP4 - despite the image being 4.3GB and the DVD able to fit 4.75GB.

I've tried with 10 of my blank DVDs and I know they aren't at fault. Anyone had this issue?

2. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

Try a dual layer DVD or a USB memory stick. or even a partition on your hdd.

3. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Been that way since Leopard at least that I know. Dual Layer DVD.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Lion can use a standard DVD-R, no need for Dual Layer. I guess Mountain Lion bloated out a bit again.

I would recommend an 8GB memory stick or fast SD card to put the Mountain Lion install image on.

5. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Well alright. I didn't know since I was on to mounting zip drives by then but I remembered Leopard needed a dual layer as well

6. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I can second the USB drive idea. Thats what I did with Lion, it makes reinstall a lot faster. You can get them online for under $20.00.

7. JacaByte macrumors 6502

$20 for an 8 GB flashdrive? That's too much, I can get one from Newegg for $6, or run to a Best Buy and get one for about $8.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

Primary culprit might be the new installation languages. There may be a way of trimming those out of the image before burning if you really need to have this on DVD.

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Try this in a Terminal window:
    This optimizes the dmg, so that you can burn it on a DVD.

Here is an example for the Lion InstallESD.dmg:
    Apple used the same technique for CDs in Disk Utility, but i think they removed the "optimization" option for DVDs. That is the reason why i use hdiutil. DL-DVDs are probably the easiest solution.

10. j-raymn, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  11. iAmos macrumors newbie

This worked great for me thanks!