ML eating my MBA 2012 :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chizzer2003, Jul 28, 2012.

1. chizzer2003 macrumors member

Hey, I have recently just upgraded my 2012 MBA with 8GB ram 128gb to ML, and despite the claims of ML running better - its running choppier. Animations lag, ive had to auto hide the dock because of switching dekstops via a four finger swipe was like a flipbook and it takes about a second to recognise the mission control gesture before the windows slowly judder into place.

I really have nothing much on it and have 40GB free so assumed there was no need to do a clean install as i had only had it for less than two weeks before hand. Any suggestions or do i just wait it out for some kind of update? My memory usage never peaks 4GB of RAM either, so i always have over half free.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

That hasn't been my experience (though I had to do a clean installation for other reasons - it was crashing on wake-from-sleep). In general, Mountain Lion is a little snappier than Lion on my 2012 MacBook Air.

Maybe try a clean install. You can migrate from a backup of your existing setup. It won't hurt and might help.

3. jgo78 macrumors 6502

I have the same problem, its choppy when scrolling through desktops when the dock is on .I don't get it. Never had this lag with lion.

4. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

F@#$! This is not what I wanna hear. lol.

And yet so many of you ppl saying clean install is not necessary? hmmmm :rolleyes:

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Since there won't be anything except Lion on the Mac you receive (unless it ships with Mountain Lion), there is little risk of a regular installation. Even if you want to do a clean installation you would still need to download Mountain Lion, do an upgrade so that a Mountain Lion restore partition is created, then reboot into recovery mode, format the drive, and then reinstall Mountain Lion (which will involve another download). My advice is to avoid the hassle unless you actually experience any issues.

6. jgo78 macrumors 6502

if i move the dock to the one of the sides instead of the bottom, my desktop scroll lag goes away.

7. aleni macrumors 68020

Have u all updated to the latest firmware update? If you don't, check for software update on the MacAppStore.

8. asting macrumors 6502

Not a systematic issue. I tried moving the dock around, no lag between desktops for me.

9. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Oh of course. :)

10. tsboy69 macrumors regular

Dock on the bottom. No lag for me after upgrading to ML.

I don't really see much difference. I'm using a hotel network right now. Will post when I get back home, knowing how the machine performed before I upgraded..

11. mikkker007 macrumors member

Wow, strange to hear so many people having issue's. Bought my Air 4 weeks ago......Downloaded ML first day, installed..rebooted... Boom....done....

Stable as, in fact it is significantly faster than Lion......

Good luck to all those that have problems.........:)

12. jgo78, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

jgo78 macrumors 6502

did a clean install of ML, same issue. Note I only see this 'jittery' framerate issue when scrolling between multiple desktops with browsers on them when the dock is visible on the bottom of the screen. If the dock is not visible scrolling between desktops is smooth. Everything else is smooth and fast.

Also note, this never happened with Lion.

All software is up to date.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I read in another post here to change the Downloads folder (in the Dock) display to Display as Folder instead of Display as Stack and that fixed this issue. Something about having it set as Stack slows rendering when switching desktops. You can right click on the DL folder to access this setting.

14. jgo78 macrumors 6502

tried that, still same issue. Weird thing is, if i move the dock to the sides, the problem goes away., very strange.

15. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I just tested on my MacBook Air 2012 and I see what you mean. The "jitter" is rather slight. I can easily picture many people not noticing it, even when looking for it. I bet everyone has it to some degree. It goes away when the dock is on the side. I keep mine on the left, so I didn't notice anything until this test.

16. jgo78 macrumors 6502

im glad somebody sees what I see.

just find it weird that ML does this but not Lion.

17. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

I have the same issue, it's driving me nuts. Making the dock auto-hide helped, but I also don't like not being able to see the dock. Any other solutions?