ML fresh install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

2. ggabriele3 macrumors member

you might have to do some monkeying to get it on a USB stick, but the easiest way might be to:

- install ML
    - boot into recovery partition
    - use disk utility to wipe your main drive
    - install ML on the new drive

3. theSeb, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yup, those are the steps. Once you've downloaded the installer application, don't run it.

Open Finder and navigate to Applications. Locate “Install OS X Mountain Lion.app”, right click on the installer application and choose “Show Package Contents”. Click on the Contents folder and then on SharedSupport. Double click on InstallESD.dmg.

Open Disk Utility. Insert an external USB flash drive and click on “Mac OS X Install ESD” in the left pane, then click on the Restore tab in the right pane. Make sure that “Mac OS X Install ESD” is set as the source - it should not be InstallESD.dmg. Drag the USB flash drive’s partition into the Destination box and click Restore. Do not drag in the flash device itself - make sure you’re dragging in the partition.

Restart your Mac. Hold down ⌥ during the reboot and the boot menu will appear. Click on the up arrow beneath the USB drive icon with “Mac OS X”. Go into Disk Utility and delete your startup partition. Then quit disk utility and install OS X Mountain Lion.

4. FlashOver macrumors newbie

Why would I "need" to fresh install?
    What's the difference from just updating off the app store?

Thanks

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

This is how you create a bootable thumb drive. I think the OP just wanted to know how to do a fresh install. In that case you have to install ML first, then hit command-R to use the Internet recovery disk utility. Then in disk utility erase and format the drive and perform a clean install of ML.

6. theSeb, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Those are the instructions on how to do a clean install of mountain lion if you are currently using lion or snow leopard, which is exactly what the op asked for. I don't think they could be any clearer, but I am happy to consider any criticism.*

Alternatively one could first upgrade to ML after downloading it from the app store and then use internet recovery, like you suggested, but that would mean downloading ml twice, which does not seem terribly efficient.*