ML GM sound issues

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by ufsj, Jul 10, 2012.

1. ufsj macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2011
    Just upgraded to ML GM and I noticed something strange. Playing an mp3 in iTunes (and I also tried Quicktime) results in some sound distortion every few seconds. Hard to describe, but it sounds like some skipping/stuttering with some garbled popping added to it. Anyone else noticing this?

I haven't tried any previous DP builds so this is directly from Lion to ML GM
  2. Screwball macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2006
    Funny you should say that..i was just going to comment on how i had distortion issues in Lion, especially with flash content..and how i have absolutely zero issues now in ML, and I am also listening to AIFF content in iTunes via a high-end Sennheiser headphone, and i have to say that ML sounds a bit more refined than is more dynamic, it has punch, but is also relaxed at the same time. And i have yet to fire up my pro audio apps ( Peak etc... )

Sorry to hear about your issue. Have you updated, or is it a fresh install?
  3. ufsj thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2011
    Fresh install. I got this MBPR yesterday and tested out the speakers on a few songs on Lion. Then I installed ML GM today and fired up iTunes while reinstalling some software and noticed right away. First I thought it was because I was streaming it from my Synology NAS (which I did on Lion as well with no problems) so I copied the songs and tried locally but still the same.
  4. Screwball macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2006
    Have you tried VLC for mp3s? Just to see if that provides a trouble-free playback..
    After that should come a reset of both SMC and PRAM
  5. genu1ne macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2007
    I have the same sound issues with Mountain Lion GM.. This sucks!
    iMac 27" 2011