ML how many macs i can upgrade?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by stark4, Jun 11, 2012.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

Can someone tell me how is the multiple upgrade of ML works? i want to upgrade my macbook pro and macbook air. I also want to upgrade the iMac at my parents house. I can upgrade to ML with the single purchase?

Thanks

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

3. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

so is that mean I can login with my ID on all 3 macs and I should be ok?

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes, you can create a bootable flash drive from the InstallESD.dmg (like in Lion). Then use it on all your Macs to install ML. I think the current Mac-limit is 5 Macs.

----------

No, this is a waste of time. Use the USB (InstallESD) option-much faster (see above).

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There is no limit.

6. haravikk macrumors 65816

Isn't there a limit in the terms and conditions? Not sure if there's an enforced authorisation mechanism like iTunes, but you can definitely install on at least 4 machines.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Their isn't an authorization limit (after you download it, you can install it anywhere). In the T&C, it says you can install it on all the macs you own.

8. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks for the input guys.. So login with Apple ID on AppStore, Buy ML and download the ML dmg file. Transfer the dmg file to Flash Drive and install on the other two macs.

is that what i'm suppose to do?

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes, this is fastest option. See also:
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39701/lion-diskmaker
    and
    http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/
    (note that you do not need to mount the InstallESD.dmg and you do not need to erase the USB flash drive first, because Apples restore functionality in Disk Utility can do this in one step for you)