ML install question??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tobias Funke, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Once I get my ML code.

Is it possible to just download it direct to an empty HD for clean install.

Or will I have to install Lion on to the empty HD 1st then download ML causing huge strain on my bandwidth limits! :D

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

You'll definitely need to have an OS running in order to download and install ML. But, you can download it on another computer and then just install it on to your blank disk with a recovery drive or DVD.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you want do is download the ML installer, then use this free app to make yourself a USB key installer. Then boot to the USB key and install to your blank disk.

4. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I just want to do a clean install. I have backed up my entire Lion system using Time Machine to an external drive. Can I do a clean install of ML without doing any voodoo with bootable USB drives and such? I've got my system backed up, so if anything goes wrong, could I revert from my TM backup?

I know this is really basic, but I'm new to this aspect of the mac (just got my external, just setup Time Machine).

The reason I want to do a clean install is because when I setup my 2012 MBP, I imported everything from my 2009 iMac. Then I did a clean install of SL on my iMac to set it up 'as new' for someone else. Right away, I was amazed at how snappy the system was.

I have slowly become accustomed to delays, beach balling, and lag on my iMac. I see some inexplicable behavior on my 2012 MBP, and think it's because of the settings and crap I brought over from my messy iMac. Want to do a clean ML install to see just what this computer can do!

5. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

what i did was downloaded and installed ML and then went into recovery and reformatted the disk and did a fresh install like that. let me ask you how would you download it if you dont have and O/S on it.

6. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

When you say, reformatted the disk, you mean the HDD of your computer, right? Not an external? Of course, my computer has Lion on it right now, and I will be downloading ML installer as soon as Apple sorts out this redemption code snafu.

7. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Yes I mean the HDD but you will have to install ml first in order to do a fresh install

8. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Understand. That's good news, thanks! Looking forward to it . . .